Why does it take a few seconds to start recording from a cold start?

tilt

Reaction score
Country
India
I watched some reviews of the v3, and they mention that once the car is started, the camera takes a few sewconds (I believe it was around 12 if I remember correctly) to start recording.

Why does this happen? If the camera does not start recording immediately, is this not a negative factor?

I currently use a G1WH, and it starts recording the moment the car is started.

Does this have anything to do with the firmware or the sensor or...?

Please note, I do not have a Viofo camera, my question is based purely on some of the reviews I have come across, so it is possible that I have misunderstood this delay.

Cheers

it does take some time to boot up, check card etc, I don't think it's as long as 12 seconds though

try a Korean camera, some of those are 30 seconds plus

There's boot delay, if needed and there are delays in switching to and from parking mode as well. Just something to be aware of.

If boot time is the reason, what makes this camera or the Korean cameras different from, say, my G1WH which "boots up" instantly and starts recording instantly?

Thanks to both of you and cheers

No camera boots and records instantly, a few seconds perhaps, in general the more complex the functions it supports, the longer it takes, simple cameras can start up quickly in comparison

It's generally not a problem as you're going to have a few seconds between engine start and car moving, and you're not going to knowingly pull out into a potential danger. If it still bugs you, get into the habit of starting the car immediately on sitting down, then do up your seatbelt and stow your stuff while the cam boots.

Same as a PC, the more it has to do to function the longer it takes. I had a low-spec P4 tower which went from zero to Google in 23 seconds using a slimmed-down XP :D My laptop has 3X those specs or more, but it's W8.1 and no matter what I've tried, that same zero-to-Google is 49 seconds simply because this OS has a lot more crap going on than XP :(

Phil

Makes sense. Thank you and cheers

It's generally not a problem as you're going to have a few seconds between engine start and car moving, and you're not going to knowingly pull out into a potential danger. If it still bugs you, get into the habit of starting the car immediately on sitting down, then do up your seatbelt and stow your stuff while the cam boots.
I run a Viofo A119 V3 in my diesel 4x4 (Land Rover Discovery 2). In addition to the standard boot-up time of the V3, I've opted to add an additional Boot Delay of 5 seconds. This allows me to warm up the glow plugs (which takes longer in winter) and to start the engine and allow any fluctuations in the electrical system to clear before the A119 V3 starts. I've done this because the previous dashcams that I used to run (RoadHawk) would sometimes lose audio if the 4x4 wasn't started quickly (i,e. if I had to wait for the glow plugs to warm up).

Phil (SawMaster) is correct, as soon as the engine is running and whilst I'm waiting for the A119 V3 to start, I'll open the windows and sunroofs (in summer), turn on the radio, set up the SatNav and GPS speed camera apps on my phone, put on my seatbelt, etc. This should allow the A119 V3 enough time to start up and get a GPS fix before I move off.

Regards,

Back