Why doesn't this camera have a micro USB port?

DashBoat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 & A139
Does anyone know why this new camera still ships with a mini USB port?

I wasn't too happy about having to 'downgrade' my permanently run cables (but did anyways), especially since my next dash cam will probably have a micro USB port.

Last edited:
I thought most if not all GPS and dashcams use mini usb? In terms of having a secure plug, the mini usb is definitely more snug/tighter than your typical micro USB. I'm sure there are also other reasons I'm not aware of.

The popular mini series offers micro USB.

I actually looked through many white papers and spec sheets showing the difference between micro and mini interfaces, but can't find a single reason why one wouldn't go with micro USB.

I'm mostly wondering about why this option was chosen, it doesn't change my opinion of this camera either way.

...I actually looked through many white papers and spec sheets showing the difference between micro and mini interfaces, but can't find a single reason why one wouldn't go with micro USB.....
I would then offer that there's also not a single reason one wouldn't go with mini USB. Just saying...

Mini USB is more reliable when using the 10 pin variant, if it's power only using 5 pin Micro USB is fine but it limits some future options

I would then offer that there's also not a single reason one wouldn't go with mini USB. Just saying...

There is tho. Micro seems to last longer. Mini seems to be designed to fail at the port, while a micro failure usually means just a new cable instead of new device.

Micro uses less space, plus it's easier to find accessories.

Last edited:
There is tho. Micro seems to last longer. Mini send to be designed to fail at the port, while a micro failure usually means just a new cable instead of new device.

Micro uses less space, plus it's easier to find accessories.
i would say that for the purpose of a GPS/dashcam, I'm glad they're stuck with mini USB as the micro while smaller is too fragile in my opinion to be used on a device that's always going to be mounted on a car.

The popular mini series offers micro USB.

I actually looked through many white papers and spec sheets showing the difference between micro and mini interfaces, but can't find a single reason why one wouldn't go with micro USB.

I'm mostly wondering about why this option was chosen, it doesn't change my opinion of this camera either way.
The "popular mini series" is available in both forms, I have 1 with micro USB and 1 with mini USB.

I think the micro was designed for use with phones where it gets a lot of abuse and is likely to be accidently yanked out sideways so is designed to fail before the socket in the phone gets damaged, thus protecting the phone. The mini is more suitable for permanent installations and has a much stronger plug, it also has more pins so can have extra functions.

...Micro seems to last longer. Mini seems to be designed to fail at the port, while a micro failure usually means just a new cable instead of new device....
Any empirical evidence to support that opinion? I have multiple devices with both mini and micro connectors and have not had a failure with either.

I have no evidence, but just feel that a larger mini USB would fare better in a dashcam than micro. Most micro connectors on phones are relatively reliable as the phone is usually stationary (i.e. on a desk/bedside table) when charging.
With a dashcam, the unit itself is moving around with the cars vibrations. A micro to me would feel like it could wiggle out. USB-C would be tighter still I guess.

Mini USB has 5,000 cycle life while micro USB has 10,000 cycle life.

Mini USB has 5,000 cycle life while micro USB has 10,000 cycle life.

Interesting. But For a dashcam I don't think that part is as relevant - if you're plugging in the cable 5,000 times I think you're doing it wrong :) For a cellphone its certainly important with daily charging, but most dashcams are 'permanently' wired in.
I believe micro-USB also wears better as mentioned, i.e. its the cable that will break and less likely the internal connector.

I believe micro-USB also wears better as mentioned, i.e. its the cable that will break and less likely the internal connector.

also more likely to have someone try and insert it the wrong way around and mash it in the process

USB-C would be tighter still I guess.
Actually it's not. At least based on the one laptop I've used that had type c for its power connection. It felt about the same as plugging in a regular USB type a (what most people probably think of as a standard port -what comes on a thumb drive or the other end of a phone's charger cable). There was no click as it finished plugging in but it also didn't feel like it would just fall out either. Plus type c is about twice as big as a micro b connector (the standard plug on an Android phone).

For what it's worth, I've had several mini USB ports fail on me, even on devices that aren't frequently plugged in/unplugged all the time. In fact, on one device, the variable cable strain was enough to trigger the port failure.

I haven't had a micro USB port fail on me yet.

But anyways, I was merely curious about the reasoning for selecting mini USB. I don't think any extra pins are used, but maybe mini USB is cheaper to implement? Who knows. Since the manufacturer is monitoring this thread, I was hoping they would have said something.

also more likely to have someone try and insert it the wrong way around and mash it in the process

I find it hard to believe this is a concern since this would only happen once in most cases (the USB port will be fine, even if you push hard, unless you're The Hulk), and if a person can't pay attention to details like that while installing a dash cam in their vehicle, they probably shouldn't be installing any hardware to begin with.

Actually it's not. At least based on the one laptop I've used that had type c for its power connection. It felt about the same as plugging in a regular USB type a (what most people probably think of as a standard port -what comes on a thumb drive or the other end of a phone's charger cable). There was no click as it finished plugging in but it also didn't feel like it would just fall out either. Plus type c is about twice as big as a micro b connector (the standard plug on an Android phone).

The Type-C port definitely feels much tighter on Nexus devices when using high quality/OEM cables. Some of the cheaper non-compliant cables do seem to be a little looser, but they aren't following spec to begin with.

Have had people push the connector clean off the PCB they've forced it that hard, don't underestimate what happens out there

Try plugging in a micro black USB cable, in reduced lighting, on a black cased item. :)
I try to restrict the 'stuff' I use on the road to things that use a micro or mini USB. That way I can charge stuff easily, use a few common charging devices, including in hotels.

I have a lot more issues with the self-propelling gravity-defying micro SD cards than screwing up my micro USB port ;)

I have multiple devices with both mini and micro connectors and have not had a failure with either.

You're either not trying hard enough or you're intelligent and careful ;) My problem with USB mini is that I have several PS's and devices which are supposed to be 'standard' and compatible but can't be plugged together. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough :eek: Gonna get my sledgehammer, brb :p

Phil

Back