Why is it good to have a discrete camera?

Dash_Cam

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see a lot of cameras advertised as being "discrete." Why is this a selling feature? I feel like if other drivers can see I have a camera, that can be a deterrent effect.

This is a world wide forum and for some communities the dash cam becomes a theft target. Like leaving a cell phone or camera where it can be easily seen.

If you're driving like a tool, are you looking in windscreens to spot even the largest of dashcams?
If you're pulling out of a side road right under someone's nose - are you checking to see if they have a cam?
I believe the answer to those would be "no".
A rear cam 'might' be a deterrant to idiot tailgaters - although not in my experience.

The stealth comes into its own after the event. when the idiot is stood there arguing the toss - the guilty ones tend to shout the loudest in an attempt to make them the innocent party. They have absolutely no ide they have been filmed & possibly still are being filmed & not having some hi-vis camera dangling from an obvious suction mount helps with the mystery.
I love to be slightly submissive, almost apologetic (almost like I'm admitting fault, but not quite :D), it lets the idiots think they have the upper hand so they will be more inclined to play up 'your fault' in the incident.
I wonder if they drive away from the scene actually believing their own lies & contemplating embellishments!

I always wonder if dashcam is actually worth break in or if there have been any break in just to steal dashcam.
It should be a pretty shady and bad place if someone breaks in for a dashcam.
For iPhone, iPad etc... sure understandable.

I don't care for a discrete camera.
It's more for those who want it for parking monitor or for those who leave car unattended in a bad neighborhood.
Right now, my dashcams can be seen from miles away with two huge Lukas DSLR looking dashcams with silver front on black background plus few others on suction cup/tripod mounts. :D

I drive my sports cars fast as they should be........ When appropriate.

If I have an accident being aggressive so be it and will fess up and pay.

When I had a less expensive Dash cam, which look liked a dash cam, with the wires sticking out of the cigarette lighter, I would disconnect and put in the glove department. Now with a newer more expensive one hiding in front of my rear view mirror , and the wires hardly visible, I don't care. My Iroad at the front of the car, doesn't look like a camera. With its its tub like appearance, if visible, looks more like a transponder or automatic starter. I turn of the flashing security light. With its stealth like appearance, it came in handy when there was vandalism between mine and my neighbors home earlier in the year.

I am finding when tailgaters notice a camera all of a sudden when they get too close. I have seen cases where tailgater back off when they see the small camera at the back.

Yep first let the other guy dig his own grave, adding to his problems false statements - insurance fraud - dokument fraud.

And then and only then do you reveal your hand.

On a discrete dash cam you can set-it and forget it.

My car sleeps on the street, its a calm neighborhood but i dont feel safe leaving a "big" dash cam visible on my windscreen, "the opportunity makes the thief"

Back