Why is the FineVu CR-500HD Recommended?

hometechnc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, Panorama II/S, FineVu CR-500HD
Afternoon all; I don't know who the author of the "Dash Cam Comparison Page" of this website is, but under "New 2013 Dash Cams", he/she has commented under final words for the "Itronics ITB-100HD SP":

"Some nice improvements over the ITB-100HD, but the selling price of $350 is too high. Save your money and get the FineVu Cr-500HD."

Why in the World would he/she say that, when the final word for the CR-500HD is: "In 2012 arguably the camera with the best video quality. High price tag makes this unattractive." ?

I am the non-proud owner of two (2) - CR-500HD's, that cost right at $900 (american) with GPS and filters. And I can assure you that it comes with a Terminal case of buyer's remorse. The video quality of these cams are mediocre at best relative to the price. I recently bought a Mobius for $100, with power cord, and I find the video quality of this camera quite superior to that of the FineVu.

I can't believe that someone responsible for authoring content on this website would actually recommend buying an over-priced, sub-par dash cam.

Which dash cam had better video quality in 2012? It clearly states it is overpriced for the video quality.

I agree, you lost VERY important fact: TIMING, when those words / articles were written !
Yes, FineVu was for a long time THE No1, but since technology evolves and they were not able to keep up with new requirements / innovations, - they lost popularity.
Their biggest fall vs other modern day competitors is low bit-rate and not improving aperture related things that quickly, so there are many more other brands out there who for sure beats FineVu CR-500HD and do this even for much lower price.
However lately it looks like they "woke up" and will be trying to get back their top position with range of new series:

2ch Finevu PRO 2 FullHD Sony Exmor CMOS Pro II

FineVu CR-2i FullHD 2CH dual-channel recorder FullHD+HD

From what we all know, FiveVu is the most reliable brand and the built quality of their products can be trusted.

Last edited by a moderator:
was chatting whit jokkin and it´s a certain curiosity , what is this obsession per sony cmos and texas instrument Chip , why they don´t give a chance to ambarella and Aptina , since amba at moment got impressive chip processors and support well Wdr Hdr and new technologies, Amba A7 can do impressive dual 1080 30fps or even true 60fps 1080.

i won´t commend on quality of finevu it´s awesome but they incapacity in innovation makes me curious , why they don´t do cameras using different solutions whit FineVu quality ? what they are so afraid of ?

GeorgesNJR said:
was chatting whit jokkin and it´s a certain curiosity , what is this obsession per sony cmos and texas instrument Chip , why they don´t give a chance to ambarella and Aptina , since amba at moment got impressive chip processors and support well Wdr Hdr and new technologies, Amba A7 can do impressive dual 1080 30fps or even true 60fps 1080.
?

I think a lot of it comes down to support, Ambarella has excellent support in place in China with ongoing training and engineering support, I don't know if that's something they can offer Korean manufacturers, without the right channels in place it's very difficult, we looked into a Panasonic solution which technically was great but engineering support was only available from Japanese engineers, although pretty much all engineers speak and understand English it is still very much their second language, when you get two different races that both have English as a second language there's just some barriers that are hard to avoid, some things don't translate well and it just makes it too much of a challenge

Will it give us some advantage over the longer term, I'm not sure, we're all very much reliant on what the chipset can deliver, right now Ambarella have a great solution, TI could be working on something even better, who knows, it's all good though, any competition speeds progress and development of newer better solutions, hard to even imagine what the next few years might bring but I look forward to seeing what unfolds

DashCamMan said:
Which dash cam had better video quality in 2012? It clearly states it is overpriced for the video quality.

Exactly! So maybe the "final words" should be removed, or revised, so some poor fool (like me), doesn't read it, and then spend Big Bucks on faded glory.

hometechnc said:
DashCamMan said:

Exactly! So maybe the "final words" should be removed, or revised, so some poor fool (like me), doesn't read it, and then spend Big Bucks on faded glory.

I think nothing should be removed or changed there or anywhere else. It is a common sense to look at the date of article release.

I give you another sample: If you find and read GSM-arena reviews of some mobile phone, lets say article title something like "Samsung Galaxy S2 is the best phone" and that article has date when it was written( some time in 2012 ). It does not mean that after 1 month it still the best phone, especially after 1 year.
So what you saying, I now I have to write to GMS arena and ask them to change title of that article ? This way need to write to any other websites who makes reviews on other thing and ask them every month / year to change content of their reviews.

Do you see my point now ?

The only thing that moderators could add is Disclaimer, sort of "P.S. note" into introduction of Dash Cam Comparison, something like this:
" Dash Cameras comparisons evaluations ratings are "active" ( stands up ) by date when article ( review ) was written. Please note that those reviews might be not comparable with later date released other newer dash cameras reviews ",
English is not my native language, but hope moderators can understand what I mean.

Back