Why is the GoPro Bad, Alternatives?

Belial88

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why is the gopro a bad dash cam?

Is it similarly bad for helmet/action cam? What are better choices than it for helm cam?

GoPro cameras are good at what they do, they're not designed to run for extended periods though like a dashcam would, they tend to overheat if used like that

Also, being so well known, they would be a high risk for theft in a car. If you like the look/form factor and don't want to spend the coin, check out the SJ 4000

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html

Another one to check out would of course be the Mobius. It's has all you would need to make a great dash cam or a great helmet cam. There is also a waterproof case and the ability to extend the lens for more mounting options.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7...e-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

Why is the gopro a bad dash cam?

Is it similarly bad for helmet/action cam? What are better choices than it for helm cam?
They may have updated the firmware but I could not use the GoPro as a dash cam because it would not over write oldest files. It would break up the files into small segments but when the chip was full I was done. Not efficient for a dash cam application.

I sold the GoPro for a substantial loss...replaced it with a Mobius.

There is of course the the Innovv C1 and C2, which also has a waterproof case, and is well worth taking a look at.

They may have updated the firmware but I could not use the GoPro as a dash cam because it would not over write oldest files. It would break up the files into small segments but when the chip was full I was done. Not efficient for a dash cam application.

I sold the GoPro for a substantial loss...replaced it with a Mobius.

Mobius can overwrites oldest files, does it?

Mobius can overwrites oldest files, does it?

Yes.

Edit: The best way to learn about the Mobius would be to read the information here at DCT on the Mobius support thread or on the RCgroups forum's Mobius Action Cam Support thread. -- (first eight posts) .

Another good way to learn all about the Mobius would be to read the instruction manual.
A link to the Russian language version in PDF format is HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so the software, (i dont think the stealing thing is a good reason that's like saying dont buy a smartphone because they get stolen more than dumbphones), and it overheats easily during extended use.

So are there better helmet cams than the gopro, or is it the best at what it does?

(i dont think the stealing thing is a good reason that's like saying dont buy a smartphone because they get stolen more than dumbphones)

3 million smartphones were stolen in 2013 which was more than twice the number stolen the previous year. For the most part, this was without leaving them in plain view on the dashboard or seat of a car. It seems that GoPro cameras are becoming a target for thieves as well because they are easy to sell.

Last edited:
Drunken ppl get robbed here, if i had some iphone cases i would have a Little fun with those thieves.

I am thinking fill it up with a little Black powder and then a pull string match igniter and 4 - 5 M of thin fishing line, then they can yank it out of my hands and run, but only a fjew Meters before they get a suprice :D

There is an error in these postings. The GoPro will write over oldest files first. You can keep a GoPro running for hours at a time.
Each new file defaults to 1GB size, per Microsoft file requirements.

A GoPro needs a bit of nursing to make it run similar to a dash cam, but is usable in more types of situations, particularly with its extensive mounting options. One of the strongest features IMO is that you can adjust the field of view. Plus, in its default housing, it's waterproof, meaning you can even mount it on the outside of your car and drive through a rainstorm. (If you use the unmodified waterproof housing you will not be able to keep a trickle charge from the cigarette lighter to the camera batteries, so this housing would be for short-duration video subject to battery life.)

Gopro is missing a huge opportunity by not entering the dashcam market. They could quickly adapt the Hero2 to fulfill this role and write firmware that allowed for small files 2-3mins and looped when the memory card was full. It could be cheaper without the waterproof housing and other extras. Without it, the Gopro isn't a viable option for a dashcam.

You can hack a gopro so it overwrites the previous file.
I mean: record a X seconds file, wait Y seconds, delete the file ans start again.
Y should be 1?

Drunken ppl get robbed here, if i had some iphone cases i would have a Little fun with those thieves.

I am thinking fill it up with a little Black powder and then a pull string match igniter and 4 - 5 M of thin fishing line, then they can yank it out of my hands and run, but only a fjew Meters before they get a suprice :D
The thief would get a bang out of that!!

yeah :)

I never been good in the victim role, and that seem to be a default role for Danes.

I shoot great videos in 4K with this one. Can't beat the price, either

Back