Why rearview mirror dashcam is not hot in market ?

jadohogan

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
JADO
Why rearview mirror dashcam is not hot in market ?
This question is confused me for a little long time , because rearview mirror dashcam seems more convenient than Mini .
hope to receive your share , thank you !!!

Many UK cars now come equipped with automatic lights, wipers and auto-dimming mirrors, with a large sensor housing attached to the windscreen which would block the view from a mirror cam, and may be so large that a mirror cam won't fit in the space available.
Drivers would also lose their auto-dimming mirror and have to 'make do' with whatever size and shape of mirror was supplied with the cam, which might not suit the position it would have to fit in - a mirror needs to be a certain shape and size for each car if it is to give the driver a good view through the rear window.

Here's a picture of the problematic sensor casing:

-

This also baffles me. I am on a market for quality rear view mirror dash cam and can't find anything half-decent.

Yes, the other problem is a cam which is of good quality.

the rearview mirror , I dare say JADO is the top quality
Many UK cars now come equipped with automatic lights, wipers and auto-dimming mirrors, with a large sensor housing attached to the windscreen which would block the view from a mirror cam, and may be so large that a mirror cam won't fit in the space available.
Drivers would also lose their auto-dimming mirror and have to 'make do' with whatever size and shape of mirror was supplied with the cam, which might not suit the position it would have to fit in - a mirror needs to be a certain shape and size for each car if it is to give the driver a good view through the rear window.

Here's a picture of the problematic sensor casing:

-

thanks for your share .
May you know , we are Chinese dashcam manufacturer
Our China market our rearview mirror dashcam sales over 5oooo pcs per month , but very few in EU market
So little confused

Probably. But isn't it your role as a manufacturer to educate them?
Send your devices for review to UK motoring magazines, to "Which?" (this is the name of fairly influential consumer review magazine), to Tech Moan, to other bloggers.
Offer local support, marketing budget and invest in good User Manual so that translated text won't read as a typical Chinglish*. Not to mention return policy, etc.

(My two favourites from Chinese user guides are "This MP3 player is made from quality solid wood" and "You put DVD wrong place. You will be obliterated!)

Our China market our rearview mirror dashcam sales over 5oooo pcs per month , but very few in EU market
So little confused

your product is illegal in EU market so no reseller is going to want to sell it, just some B2C sales from China to customers directly that don't know is possible

I tried a partial rearview mirror dashcam and it messed up auto dim feature of the mirror and I had to manually switch from day to night.
With today's new cars that have a lot of sensors right in front of rear view mirror, it'll be hard to have a mirror dashcam, specially if it messes with any of those sensors.

Considered it before. Problem is wife drives car too and she's much shorter than me in height.

Yep thats a valid issue too, i assume if you had a RVM dashcam, when the small wife drive it all she would record after adjusting the mirror would be the sky.
Really the best option is for small camera units on a wire, and then a headunit that can be any size or shape to stash under a seat or under the dashbord.
At least for the western marked where stealthy cameras seem to be in high demand.

Most of the mirror cams I've seen have adjustable lens,so I just don't understand how this is less convenient than setting a camera on windshield?

As to illegal thing - is there a regulatory document from, say, UNECE (who are regulating most of the automotive standards) that is specifying what rear view mirrors should and shouldn't do?
I am only aware of EMC and NVH (as in shatter part of it) requirements.

Most of the mirror cams I've seen have adjustable lens,so I just don't understand how this is less convenient than setting a camera on windshield?

As to illegal thing - is there a regulatory document from, say, UNECE (who are regulating most of the automotive standards) that is specifying what rear view mirrors should and shouldn't do?
I am only aware of EMC and NVH (as in shatter part of it) requirements.

there are two other certs needed, one is to do with the glass and how much force it can resist before breaking and what happens when it breaks, the other is related to how much force is needed before it breaks off at the mount and what happens to the mount after it breaks off

Most of the mirror cams I've seen have adjustable lens,so I just don't understand how this is less convenient than setting a camera on windshield?.
Set a cam on a windshield & that's it but even the same person driving a car will need to adjust their mirror at different times of the day (we are can lose an inch off our height due to fluids being compressed out of our spines).
Even such a short amount can make a huge difference when some rear screens are miniscule.
For me, it'd be too much hassle to have to adjust a lens as well. I like my mobius tucked up at the top of the screen out of the way. Set & forget.

A mirror cam is usually above 300mm width which doesn't fit between sun visors..

Designed for LHD cars as display is on the left..

Pointless having a display and a mirror as when you adjust the mirror to look out the back the display is ruined by the reflection of rear window.. ( its worst attribute )

I will concede they are perfect for motorhomes as you have no rear window and can keep an eye on kids in the back with the mirror bit, but the cables are not long enough !!!

Yeah i asume you could just redo the framing after you changed angle on the camera, but ( speaking as a lifetime bachelor here ) from my limited knowlege of the other sex that seem like a tall order.

Hony remember to reframe the camera in the mirror when you change angle on it, and then i will try to do the same when i go for my next drive.

A dashcam should really be set and forget ( untill you need footage from it, and thats hopefully never )
Then offcourse there is us other users that grab footage of it all the time to expose on youtube the dumbasses we encounter in traffic.

Yeah i asume you could just redo the framing after you changed angle on the camera, but ( speaking as a lifetime bachelor here ) from my limited knowlege of the other sex that seem like a tall order.

Hony remember to reframe the camera in the mirror when you change angle on it, and then i will try to do the same when i go for my next drive.

A dashcam should really be set and forget ( untill you need footage from it, and thats hopefully never )
Then offcourse there is us other users that grab footage of it all the time to expose on youtube the dumbasses we encounter in traffic.

Wife sometimes forget to look at the blinking red LED on the Mobius to make sure it's recording. Not that it needs to. Just as a routine check.:(

Many UK cars now come equipped with automatic lights, wipers and auto-dimming mirrors, with a large sensor housing
My Subaru has this, and using my GoSafe 200 caused issues with it. I would be willing to swap out the mirror in my Camaro though with a replacement Mirror camera with decent specs. Not a clip on, but a full replacement

Heh, my better half have somehow managed to disconnect B40 A118 from power when she adjusted the mirror. I don't even understand how it is possible but hey, never underestimate the ingenuity of the better sex! :)
Saying this, in my car I prefer the mirror-style dashcam.

Back