Why so many separate MP4 files?

Edbert

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got a new camera, just getting used to it, and I see that on this morning's commute I am recording a new file every minute or so. Why is it doing that and how do I stop it?

Usually it's either 1, 3 or 5 min files, I suspect because video data is large so it's a lot to process and handle if the clips were even longer. Also probably more protection in case of corruption, you won't lose so much data.

Hi @Edbert
You can change the recording unit through the wifi app or on the computer if you are running V1.xxx firmware
You have the choice between 1, 2, or 3 minute clips
Personally I use the 1 minute setting because wifi downloads are faster (only downloading 60mb as opposed to 180mb)

e2yzanK.jpg

Got a new camera, just getting used to it, and I see that on this morning's commute I am recording a new file every minute or so. Why is it doing that and how do I stop it?
If it's a new camera, you're probably on V2.002. Can you change the size of the files?

Regards

John

First off...THANKS for all the replies.

I looked just a few minutes ago and the files (based upon the name which is s time stamp) are around 1:10 to 1:30 long.

I have not looked at all of the settings yet via my phone. Let me get back to you regarding my ability to or not to change the file size that way. I have never used the PC (Windows) application only my smart phone. Do I need to bring a laptop into the car and connect to the wifi of the camera to use it?

I am on version 2.x I know because I had to use the new app that is C for cloud. After much reading on this site yesterday I have come to the conclusion that 1.009 is preferable since the only way I can really use the cloud is to activate a hotstpot on my phone which will really consume my data plan. Is there an existing thread that discusses rolling back to an older version, and are all camera models compatible with the older firmware? I saw that the 3rd party (Russian) firmware is NOT compatible with my unit.

Version 2.xx is for the cloud feature and is limited to ~1 minute files. To get the options described above with up to 3 minute clips you need to revert back to version 1.009 available with instructions here http://www.blackvue.com/support/downloads/
Click on the + Download firmware on this page to actually see the firmware available

Don't get hung up on file size though.. it is a computer thing and size.. does not matter.

The blackvue.com site is down, has been for a few days. Blackvue.co.uk works but their downloads point to the .com site :-(

Unrelated to this thread but still a "dashcam" link...
This is off a local news station from last weekend http://kxan.com/2016/02/26/truck-carrying-gravel-flies-off-fm-2222-after-crash/

Only 2 minutes long, about 1:35 of it wasted time except that the first seconds show a large gravel truck that appears later on in the vid..so fast forward once the driver with the cam passes the truck and goes down a long steep hill...enjoy!

The blackvue.com site is down, has been for a few days. Blackvue.co.uk works but their downloads point to the .com site :-(
?? The link works for me and downloads whatever firmware I want.

?? The link works for me and downloads whatever firmware I want.
Interesting. On my phone and tablet I get nothing but a white screen.

One PC browser just sits there waiting for 10 minutes then says "
internal error - server connection terminated".

The other says the site is unavailable and asks if I want to view a saved copy.

Do you mind doing an nslookup and tell me the IP you get for
www.blackvue.com?

I am showing 110.45.220.17 and it is not working for me.

Last edited:
@Edbert
Not sure why the Blackvue site isn't working for you, I have it on my dropbox (V1.009 and V2.002)
With firmware updates I'm of the strong belief that if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially with V2.xxx if you're not using Cloud.

@Edbert
Not sure why the Blackvue site isn't working for you, I have it on my dropbox (V1.009 and V2.002)
With firmware updates I'm of the strong belief that if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially with V2.xxx if you're not using Cloud.
Sweet! I got the .zip for 1.009. I did not see the 2.002 there but like you said I have no need for that anyway.

Thanks and rep given.

Back