Why the large plug?

Camcruiser

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am considering purchasing a Street Guardian, but I don't like the large plug on the power supply cable. It eliminates the ability to power additional USB devices from the same aux power socket in the vehicle. I wonder why Street Guardian uses that plug, instead of a USB Type A connector.

Welcome to DCT, Camcruiser!

The camera works with 5V and needs a 12V to 5V power adapter, which is inside the thing you're calling "a large plug". They don't supply the cameras with a USB-only cable because people would be tempted to plug it to one of the USB ports on the car, which don't have enough current (mA) to power the camera. I guess they could supply the same cigarette lighter-type power adapter but with 2 USB ports, however the potential temptation to connect the camera's power cable elsewhere would still be there.

Last edited:
I have read of users cutting "the large plug" off and using the cable for a hardwire installation. That suggests that the 12-volt to 5-volt conversion takes place in the module located on the cable below the plug.

I have read of users cutting "the large plug" off and using the cable for a hardwire installation. That suggests that the 12-volt to 5-volt conversion takes place in the module located on the cable below the plug.

Correct.

The camera works with 5V and needs a 12V to 5V power adapter, which is inside the thing you're calling "a large plug".

actually the large plug is empty, it can be cut off for hard wiring

They don't supply the cameras with a USB-only cable because people would be tempted to plug it to one of the USB ports on the car, which don't have enough current (mA) to power the camera. I guess they could supply the same cigarette lighter-type power adapter but with 2 USB ports, however the potential temptation to connect the camera's power cable elsewhere would still be there.

correct, that's why we don't do it like this

I only answered your question as to why SG don't use a USB connector. I was incorrect regarding where the power adapter is located but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that the large plug, empty or not, is always needed when the camera is not hardwired.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joshua Price Street Guardian 6
Back