Why Won't VIOFO Fix Yellow Night Video Defect?

Whatatay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every single video I have seen from an A119 taken at night is yellow. It is very apparent when seen by itself but when compared with night video of any other camera it is absolutely horrible. It looks like an old photo from the 1920's and is so bad that it makes it likk like the video was altered or tampered with so may not be good enough proof.

There obviously a defect with night vision or recording at night with the A119. I have seen other people mention it so I don' know why VIOFO hasn't done anything to fix it.

not saying this is right, but I take it as that's the way the sensor works. that it tends to be yellowish and something that can not be "fixed" the sony sensor seems a little blue to me so to each his own.

There is no perfect in this imperfect world and everything is a compromise :rolleyes: My guess is that this level and type of performance is the best overall that can be achieved with the hardware being used. I'll happily trade some imperfection in nighttime color rendition or tint for the ability to clearly see more details if I can't get both at the same time. Viofo seems to address problems and issues well when that can be done but we must accept that there is only so much possible, and that there may be greater needs which will be addressed before the lesser ones are addressed. If there's a solution I'm sure it will be found and implemented eventually but this may just be something we have to live with as the best compromise possible ;)

Phil

I have never seen such yellow night video in any other dashcam, both cheaper and more expensive and I am not the only one who has mentioned this.

The fact that that we get no reply from Viofo here tends to point out a defect that they can't or won't fix.

I don't see it as a defect, it's a 4mp sensor, if you want to try and make it look more colour accurate in low light you're going to lose some detail to do that, it's always about finding a balance to fit as many situations as possible

I have never seen such yellow night video in any other dashcam, both cheaper and more expensive and I am not the only one who has mentioned this.

The fact that that we get no reply from Viofo here tends to point out a defect that they can't or won't fix.

This is a 3rd party dashcam forum. even though Viofo and other venders have a presents here, they are not required to respond to anything here. I would say if you have a big problem with it you might contact them directly.

http://support.viofo.com/support/home
http://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
+86 755 8526 8909

I don't see it as a defect, it's a 4mp sensor, if you want to try and make it look more colour accurate in low light you're going to lose some detail to do that, it's always about finding a balance to fit as many situations as possible

Come on. There are lots of other 4mp sensors yet they don't have yellow night vision. There are also cameras that are clearer and others not as clear but they don't have yellow night vision. Something is wrong with the camera.

This is a 3rd party dashcam forum. even though Viofo and other venders have a presents here, they are not required to respond to anything here.

True but by not doing so they are admitting it is a defect with the camera. Otherwise they could explain why it is there or why it can't be fixed. Putting their head in the sand to a public inquiry just makes them look bad. It isn't slightly yellow or tinted yelkow. It is a major over saturation of yellow

Come on. There are lots of other 4mp sensors yet they don't have yellow night vision. There are also cameras that are clearer and others not as clear but they don't have yellow night vision. Something is wrong with the camera.
If you give it white illumination at night then it will show white, the reason you see yellow is that many places still use yellow sodium street lighting at night, although it is becoming less common with the spread of LED lighting. The only reason that other cameras don't show yellow is that they mess with the data to make it look white when it is not, which as jokiin suggests will unavoidably loose some detail from the image. It is a dashcam, if you want photographic perfection instead of evidence gathering then maybe it is not the right camera for you?

Even for sony sensor, the video will also show yellow while there is yellow street light.
We do have some checking for this, but hard to balance.
We will keep improving the image quality like we told before HDR feature.

Keep in mind this is a very inexpensive DVR

Hope you enjoyed your vacation Viofo :D

Phil

We do have some checking for this, but hard to balance.

the reality is we need to balance the performance across multiple lighting situations to find a result that suits the widest range of circumstances using an automatic setting, we're trying to capture information about what's happening, we're not making Hollywood movies

No complaints about Viofo, he has responded many times in this forum. To be fair to viofo, he really does try to listen to complaints and usually try's to remedy most problems with a steady flow of firmware updates. I think most members here will agree.

the reality is we need to balance the performance across multiple lighting situations to find a result that suits the widest range of circumstances using an automatic setting, we're trying to capture information about what's happening, we're not making Hollywood movies

I'm not buying this for a second. No other camera, both cheaper and more expensive has such yellow night vision. None. How is it the A119 is the only camera with this issue?

I'm not buying this for a second. No other camera, both cheaper and more expensive has such yellow night vision. None. How is it the A119 is the only camera with this issue?

some look green in low light, some look purple, you're looking for a particular trait and perhaps not noticing how others do it

Hello, I am a new owner of A119 V2 (firmware A119_170221_v2.02), you can check below my first (just uploaded) night video. Note that my headlight bulbs are 4300K

Hello,

I have the same issue with my camera. Here is some footage:

I am quite disappointed...

Hi Viofo!

Thanks for replying! Any ETA for the updated version?

Regards

Back