Why you should not follow too close and then speed...

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
A Subaru is following Mercedes van too close to force it give way and it does after few moments.
Then the Subaru speeds as soon as the van moves over so as to reclaim the lost time that van wasted.
Bad idea.
This uphill has a curve and there's always a cop.
Sometimes, it's a SUV, sometimes a car and sometimes 2 motorcycle cops.
Due to the small road that curves away from this highway and few small trees where the cop car hides, it's very hard to see them until it's too late.
I always slow down there even if they are not there as you can't see from that far.
The van moves over at 00:15 and the cop is already rolling to pull her over at 00:30.
That few seconds will be costly to her.
Speed limit there is 55 but usually around 60 is okay as I've driven around that when cops are present and so far so good.
What makes it worse is there's a downhill before that stretch so everyone speeds up.
My camera shows around 66mph on the downhill before uphill starts so the Subaru was well over 70.

Dashcam: mini 0906

vlcsnap-2017-09-15-10h39m48s589-mini-cop.jpg

The cop seemed to pull out dangerously close to the front of the van, but then he probably couldn't see it with his 100% black windows!

"Speed limit there is 55"
That is not what it says on the sign!

The cop seemed to pull out dangerously close to the front of the van, but then he probably couldn't see it with his 100% black windows!

"Speed limit there is 55"
That is not what it says on the sign!
That sign is where the speed zone changes or one sign before that.
Until you cross that bridge, it is 55mph.

I must confess, I make a special effort to move into the inside lane when I'm approaching a speed camera doing exactly the speed limit, and someone is on my tail demanding to overtake. Well, it is common courtesy after all. Maybe the van driver was doing something similar.

A big van is a good tool for 'suckering' impatient tailgaters into slow moving traffic too :rolleyes: Nothing like peeling off into another lane at the last moment leaving them no hole to escape the lane I was in which I could see slowing, but they couldn't see for being too close to my rear bumper :p Don't get many chances to do the radar trick here as they hardly ever monitor traffic while stationary here anymore and we don't have speed-cams.

Phil

Yeah, that van probably knew there were always cops there, and that's why he waited. Probably was glad to see the cop pull out on front of him to give the Subaru his reward. :D

Back