Why your next Dash cam should have GPS.. DATAKAM player demo

REyewitness

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
GT200W, GT680W, GT550WS, G1W-C, K6000, SJ4000
Just took a few minutes to make a short video on the power of todays GPS enabled dash cameras and the quality custom software that is available to go along with them.

We review and test the DATAKAM software in this video, camera used is a GT680W.

Enjoy

I'm not even going to bother clicking play. I found all that superfluous crap very distracting when I had it years ago.
Until I discovered that I didn't have to watch footage back through the 'supplied player software'.
Does anyone actually find it useful to see g-sensor lines, compass, speedo, google maps overlay and whatever else is on display?

I love all the data in there - I've got to admit camera's without GPS just don't feel right to me. You can see at a quick glance if you're braking or accelerating too hard from the g sensor data and everything else. For some reason I found the video quality is better than say QuickTime. It's a great piece of software and I really like how you can remember where something happened and just click on the map to go straight to the footage.

Registrator Viewer is a great program even if you didn't have a camera with all the extras, even if only for its playback and editing functionality it's a very good player

Agreed Registrator Viewer is a must have program even if you don't have GPS. Here's an example where I used RV to speed up the video on a Vicovation WF1 (with no GPS) in my friends plane on the way home from Vegas. I think I changed the value to 16x. (EDIT x15 clearly shows in video title)

Last edited:
Registrator Viewer really should replace all those stock applications you get on a CD when you buy a new camera. My old GS8000 came with some rough playback software. No need to have so many different ones for different cameras when there is such a great piece of universal software.

Does anyone actually find it useful to see g-sensor lines, compass, speedo, google maps overlay and whatever else is on display?

No, I find it irritating. Nevertheless, Registrator Viewer is an excellent video editor / player, for which the term 'RTFM' is not necessary, as it's so easy to use. A very brief timelapse example...

Last edited:
No, I find it irritating. Nevertheless, Registrator Viewer is an excellent video editor / player, for which the term 'RTFM' is not necessary, as it's so easy to use.
You can quite easily turn all the "extras" off and just have the file list and view screen. Or you can run at full screen.
There are features in there which you have to dig around for so a manual or tutorial would help people get the most out of this excellent piece of software.

Frank

You can quite easily turn all the "extras" off and just have the file list and view screen.

I know. I have. I was referring to videos being spoiled by unnecessary additional data, that often reduce the actual video content to less than 50% of screen space.

I like to have all the data for when it is required but much prefer to play the video full screen seems much clearer for an old bugger of 66

dpick1947

66 was a good year :)

.........snip......Does anyone actually find it useful to see g-sensor lines, compass, speedo, google maps overlay and whatever else is on display?

nope, not me......but I don't usually watch the vids, unless somnething specific has happened that I want to splice together or look at in detail....u know....that naked babe walking in front of the car...stuff like that.

I would have thought that it would be better to have a dashcam with a feed from the car's diagnostic socket, rather than GPS, as it should give a more dependable indication of speed and also throttle position in the event of a collision. Not sure I''d actually want it myself, or GPS either though.

The only thing I've found with Datakam / Registrator Viewer is that the software's graphical speedometer appears to be inaccurate - it does not match the speed of the GPS displayed by the dashcam, nor does it match the speed of the vehicle.
From the video above, it's hard to tell because the vehicle is constantly accelerating / decelerating and there's clearly a lag between the dashcam displayed speed & the Datakam displayed speed. This is not the inaccuracy that I'm referring to (nor is the software change from KM/H to MPH and vice versa).
However, at a particular speed, Datakam appears to be off by +/- 10%. When setting the vehicle on cruise control at a particular speed, Datakam shows varying speeds. I tested a 5km (3mi.) stretch of highway, vehicle cruise set to 110 KM/H, dashcam showing 111.xx Km/h (where xx varied +/- < 1 Km/h due to undulations in the road) for the whole section, yet Datakam reported I hit 120KM/H in multiple sections (it kept rising to 120 and falling to 106). As video evidence, this would be damning evidence against me.

I would have thought that it would be better to have a dashcam with a feed from the car's diagnostic socket, rather than GPS, as it should give a more dependable indication of speed and also throttle position in the event of a collision. Not sure I''d actually want it myself, or GPS either though.
I have GPS for location, the indicated speed is incidental as far as I'm concerned. Your diagnostic socket (I don't have one) might tell you how fast you're going but it won't tell you where you are :)

Frank

Back