Wi-Fi freqs and Android versions

Camoz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings All!

When configuring a new A129 front-only installation from Dashcam Central, I wanted to find out whether I could use an older Android as an occasional monitor, download and menu access tool or whether I would have to use my "daily use" phone. I had three devices available: firstly my "daily use" phone which is a Moto G5 (XT1676) running Ancroid v8.1.0, secondly an Alcatel U3 3G (4034G) running Android v6.0 and thirdly a Sony Xperia S (LT26i) with Android 4.1.2. The Alcatel and the Sony don't have SIMs.

Through the on-camera settings screen I noticed that the Wi-Fi on the A129 provided both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz as alternatives. Having downloaded and installed the Viofo App on all three devices, some head-scratching and other experiments led to establishing that: the app on the Moto G5 with v8.1.0 gives all the functions on both 2.4 and 5Ghz; the app on the Alcatel U3 with v6.0 does not connect at all on 5Ghz but gives all the functions on 2.4Ghz; and, the app on the Sony Xperia S with v4.1.2 does not connect at all on 5Ghz, while on 2.4 it does not allow viewing or downloading of files but does allow both live monitoring and settings-menu changes. I also found that when setting up a 2.4 connection, the SSID had to be modified by droping the <5G_> at the start of the SSID. The default password remains the same.

So it seems I will be able to do any monitoring, reviewing, downloading and menu changes via the Alcatel.

I'm submitting the above simply because someone may find the info useful and in appreciation of all the insights and info that others have placed in this and other dashcam forums.

You don't have to use the latest version of the app on the sony. If there was an older version of the app that worked on the older android system (and i say if because i don't know if there was), you are able to uninstall the later version and install the earlier from relevant apk file if you can find it. Then you may be able to gain some functionality on the sony, and it might be the feature that you're most interested in.

Newer versions of apps often eliminate support for older operating systems simply because of updates to included sdks. I use a lot of old phones for various tasks, and I've even purchased some never intending to install a SIM card.

Back