Wide angle lenses are great, but.....

BTBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 522GW
Still trying to decide on the best place to site the dash cam thanks to the fact that my car (Ford Focus) has a great lump of plastic in the centre upper segment of the screen. So if l mount it to the left and behind the rear view mirror the wide angle lense picks up this great lump of plastic. Therefore a huge section is effectively blanked out. The forward vision isnt so bad, but if a car was to come across from the right, the camera probably wouldnt pick it up.

So the next option is the nearside top of the screen, alter the camera placement setting to "left" and it captures a pretty good percentage of the forward view.

The only problem with this location is that l cannot see the driver assistance alerts or operate any of the buttons if l needed to.

With the Nextbase camera, it fitted behind the rear view mirror and the centre section didnt present any such problems

Have you considered mounting it on the great lump of plastic if possible? (Might involve some creative modifications to the mount.)

No i hadn't, but thats worth a try, thanks for the suggestion.

Ive explored that option this morning, and while yes its sort of possible, the Garmin camera does sit quite low down and affects the line of sight from the drivers angle. Which if I'm being honest, I'm not that comfortable with, still a good call though.

There are two problems really, (three if you count the great lump of plastic in the middle of the screen) is that the Garmin mount holds the camera away from the screen quite a lot, and the camera lens is quite shallow. Unlike the Nextbase lens for example that is much longer than the Garmin unit, therefore it tended not to be affected by the centre section on the windscreen.

So ideally, I need to figure out a way so that I can still mount the unit up on the top of the screen adjacent to the rear view mirror, but get it closer to the screen? So thats today project sorted then.....lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Dash Cam 66W 5