Wife nearly flattens clueless bicyclist

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
This was capture in the first few minutes after starting the car - so GPS hadn't locked yet. Wife was approaching the intersection, which conveniently just turned green as she approached (something that light never does unless there is a car already waiting for the light). Pleasantly surprised, she accelerates on the approach, when all of a sudden this senior biker just lollygags in front of her.

She said it seemed a lot closer than it looks on the video (could be the wide angle distortion), but it most certainly rattled her a bit. That is a particularly bad intersection as there are 6 lanes of cross traffic (not including turn lanes), and many go through the light well after it has turned red for them. So attention is always placed on cars that are approaching the red - making pedestrians and bicyclists all but invisible.

In any case, just a few days ago I installed the CPL after noticing harsh dash reflections on the windscreen. This was the first clip I viewed on the PC, and the polarization of the windshield is quite a bit more distracting than the glare ever was. I'm going to remove it when I reinstall the sd cards in the AM.

that moire pattern makes it look like a dream sequence or something! ;) i've not heard of polarized glass in a car. do you have aftermarket tint? if not, what year/make/model is it? i'm genuinely curious.

meanwhile, biker is lucky he's not dead...

Yes, there is clear tint on the windshield (medically permitted). It's to block UVA/B, and apparently either it is polarized, or it has some characteristics that mimic polarization. I see it with polarized sunglasses as well. It's just REALLY obvious with the CPL filter - but only when the sun is perpendicular to the direction of travel. Straight into the sun, no rainbows.

Yes, there is clear tint on the windshield (medically permitted). It's to block UVA/B, and apparently either it is polarized, or it has some characteristics that mimic polarization. I see it with polarized sunglasses as well. It's just REALLY obvious with the CPL filter - but only when the sun is perpendicular to the direction of travel. Straight into the sun, no rainbows.
most good quality tint film does that. i'm not sure if it's true polarization but i see it on some cars with my polarized glasses too.

Try refitting it at 90Degrees to how it is now I used to wear polarized sunglasses when driving buses I couldnt read one of the ticket machines unless I turned to look at it crossways. Glass had been put in different to all our others, Have same trouble with HUD which reflects onto a square of tint. Must turn the tint 90deg and see what happens

'lollygags' :) Never heard that one before but he was pedaling like billy-o. :)

I remember a guy from my school class, the tallest of all us boys.

When he was cycling he had the heels of his foot on the pedal and then the rest of his feet was angled out in a 45 if not more degree angle, looked hilarious from behind.
Funny thing was he walked and ran in a normal way, but his footwork on a bicycle was something else to behold.

Back