Wifi accessible online security cam . . .

John_PY

Reaction score
Country
Paraguay
Dash Cam
Panorama, 0801
affordable and reliable.

any and all advice appreciated.

@kamkar1 maybe able to help you.

I have been thinking about jumping into it also but haven't done much research yet because of constant moving and job flipping.

people may just suggest you try a home security forum/website though.

Well i have not tried wifi cameras myself lately, but my first 2 IP cameras was wifi and thet worked okay considering it was 5-6 years ago.

I have started to do a little research into the matter as i would like to combine 1-2 wifi cameras with the up and comming Vr goggles, my plan is to make a DIY night vision goggles for the broader view and then have the other camera attached on my rifle scope so i can switch over to that camera when i am ready to make the kill ( not humans i am killing offcourse )

But i dont have any links i can drop for anything interesting, but its just a matter of searching the web.

You should be looking for 1080P cameras offcourse.
Some i do belive can stand alone as they have build in SD card that i assume work like dashcams, but myself i use a stand alone NVR ( network recorder )
Depending on the thing you want to cover you might want to use a camera you can pan and tilt - zoom, i have this on my car where its parked as i dont hit the same place every time i park, and the camera is zoomed in so close on my car.
Allso depending on the location you might want to have IR light on the camera itself, or a IR lamp in another place to illuminate at night.
Most if not all IP cameras wifi and non wifi normally have apps you can use on smartphones or tablets to view the camera footage and allso record locally.
All network cameras have 2 or more feeds comming off them, the primary feed is usioally the full res 25-30 FPS and the secondary is often a little lower res meant for viewing on smaller handheld devises.
I use the app for my NVR on my 7" tablet, this way i can lie in my bed and view all 3 of my cameras, and control my PTZ camera :)
Now i just need to see if my tablet can take beeing plugged into the charger all the time and the screen going for around 12 hours every day, but so far the cheap asus tablet is doing allright.

I have not yet forwarded my NVR on my router, so i cant view the cameras from the outside of my network, but i could that if i wanted to.

there are a lot of inexpensive, reliable NVRs on the market currently. my current zmodo was a chore to get online. a lot of port forwarding and making firewall exceptions and messing with IP addresses. the whole process was very frustrating. took a few hours during a weekend to get reliable info and to get it online.

if I were to buy one today, I'd get something that's capable of 720P recording and with its own app. mine only records 700 lines which is useable enough but the colors are very inaccurate. I've been looking at several models from a brand named LAview. the amazon ratings suggest it's easy to setup for viewing outside of your home network. I'll re-do my system at some point but it's not a huge priority for me at the moment.

I have been using these for 4-5 years. Very reliable cameras. Beware of fakes, which are of inferior quality; go with the Wanscam brand.

Getting my first 2 IP cams to be viewable outside the house was a nightmare back then, it might be a underlying reason as to why i havent done it with the new gear.
Network related stuff is at the bottom of my interest sphere when it come to computers.

Back