Wifi and parking mode, DDPai m6+ or mini2 or something else

TheSkunkMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for a dashcam with wifi (or some other method to interface with a phone/computer) and preferably some kind of parking mode. It seems like 2 decent options would be the m6+ and the mini2, but I can't decide. I live in Maryland so the weather is fairly hot. I hear the mini2 is restarting and turning off in warm weather and I hear the m6+ has a battery as opposed to a capacitor, which won't fair well in warm weather either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

I have the Mini2 and can't recommend it for parking mode. I live in Florida and it definitely has problems in the heat. I wouldn't recommend the M6+ either due to the battery, as you mentioned. If parking mode is a priority, then I'd take a look at the VicoVation Opia2, Thinkware F770, Street Guardian SGZC12RC, or Vantrue X2. A119 looks good too, but haven't seen any reviews of parking mode expressly. I'm sure there are others.

I have the Mini2 and can't recommend it for parking mode. I live in Florida and it definitely has problems in the heat. I wouldn't recommend the M6+ either due to the battery, as you mentioned. If parking mode is a priority, then I'd take a look at the VicoVation Opia2, Thinkware F770, Street Guardian SGZC12RC, or Vantrue X2. A119 looks good too, but haven't seen any reviews of parking mode expressly. I'm sure there are others.
How useful do you find parking mode? Is it worth the extra cash in your opinion? I may be able to get by with just a decent camera with wifi but no parking mode.

I also have the ddpai mini 2 and I do not recommend it due to random reboots/shutdown and at times, I don't even think it is heat related. Parking mode is useful if you live your car unattended a lot and want some evidence in case of a hit and run in the parking lot.

Out of curiosity, why do you want wifi? I personally don't see the need for wifi if you have a screen to adjust the camera (settings, viewing angle, etc.).

Viofo A119 is a good choice for $100 budget. Thinkware or Blackvue have good parking mode.

I really only want wifi so I can tinker around. I was thinking of pulling up the video stream and maybe running computer vision stuff, just seeing if I can do anything interesting.

I also have the ddpai mini 2 and I do not recommend it due to random reboots/shutdown and at times, I don't even think it is heat related. Parking mode is useful if you live your car unattended a lot and want some evidence in case of a hit and run in the parking lot.

Out of curiosity, why do you want wifi? I personally don't see the need for wifi if you have a screen to adjust the camera (settings, viewing angle, etc.).

Viofo A119 is a good choice for $100 budget. Thinkware or Blackvue have good parking mode.
I'm starting to think it's not heat related also. My homemade fan doesn't seem to be helping in parking mode at 1440p, now it just doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm starting to think it's not heat related also. My homemade fan doesn't seem to be helping in parking mode at 1440p, now it just doesn't seem to work at all.

Yeah, I really don't think it's heat related after using the mini 2 for a while, especially during "long" drives, like 40+ minutes to an hour or more... I've notice it reboot once in a while and that's in the morning, when temperatures are pretty cool in my area. I haven't really checked with parking mode footage lately, as I'm sure it is probably rebooting/shutting off for some time as usual, even in 1080p.

Not sure what ddpai can do about it, but I'm sure it haven't been reaching the temperature protection limit. Haven't seen any firmware updates still to see if that could improve anything.

Just wondering if my model is different from yours... Does your startup chime say "ding ding pai" or just "ding dong"? I'm starting to wonder if there's 2 version out there, as my box is all in English when I saw other posting here are in Chinese.

Yeah, I really don't think it's heat related after using the mini 2 for a while, especially during "long" drives, like 40+ minutes to an hour or more... I've notice it reboot once in a while and that's in the morning, when temperatures are pretty cool in my area. I haven't really checked with parking mode footage lately, as I'm sure it is probably rebooting/shutting off for some time as usual, even in 1080p.

Not sure what ddpai can do about it, but I'm sure it haven't been reaching the temperature protection limit. Haven't seen any firmware updates still to see if that could improve anything.

Just wondering if my model is different from yours... Does your startup chime say "ding ding pai" or just "ding dong"? I'm starting to wonder if there's 2 version out there, as my box is all in English when I saw other posting here are in Chinese.

My box has Chinese on it like that other member. Mine does say "ding ding pai," however it says nothing now that I accidently broke off the speaker! lol. I'll post some pics this weekend of my mod, but like I said, it doesn't seem to be helping 1440P. However, 1080P is improved (speaking about parking mode) to the point of where it's reliable.

My box has Chinese on it like that other member. Mine does say "ding ding pai," however it says nothing now that I accidently broke off the speaker! lol. I'll post some pics this weekend of my mod, but like I said, it doesn't seem to be helping 1440P. However, 1080P is improved (speaking about parking mode) to the point of where it's reliable.
I take it 1080p was still unreliable before your mod?

I take it 1080p was still unreliable before your mod?

Partially - it fared better than 1440P. And actually, since both 1440P and 1080P record at about 10Mbps, the quality is almost the same. 1440P has a slight edge, but not by much. I have a screenshot I still need to post that shows that where I zoomed in some distant details.

Back