WIFI Autoupload

rajanm1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Do any dashcams upload to the cloud via WIFI automatically?
For example when you came home or had a hotspot created from your phone?

It has been asked for before and is on the wishlist of some, but so far no manufacturer has stepped up to the plate or even hinted at pursuing development at this time. It is a shame though, as I believe it could turn out to be a major selling feature.

KuoH

There are few companies who does this for commercial fleet. It's not available to retail, cost fortune and has low specs in terms of video resolution.

That may be because they're focused on cell versus wifi uploading. There is plenty of bandwidth on wifi to upload an entire 64GB card overnight and there is no additional data cost. All it takes is a small application on the home PC/server to be listening and manage file reception. It should be relatively simple to implement in the firmware of current wifi enabled products and use very little CPU resources, but the developers seems uninterested at this time.

KuoH

There are few companies who does this for commercial fleet. It's not available to retail, cost fortune and has low specs in terms of video resolution.

That's ridiculous! What about an EYE-FI card?

The "Cam on road" android app on my phone is quite good but I can only upload 480p on it.
I think you can autoupload 1080P free on android phones though if less than 15mins.

What about an EYE-FI card?
I was thinking of buying something simillar (to transfer data from photocamera) but I found the transfer speed is not so wonderful. Also, you can't use the memory you'll want (e.g., type/size/speed class).

Bump, would still like this autoupload feature a lot!
Anyone know of anything which could do this?

You will need a kick ass data plan, and more awsome 4G coverage than here in Denmark.
Or better yet you will need a lot of open wifi hotspots, my camera generate about 500 MB every 3 minutes of driving, that will give me a need to upload 2.7MB every second i am driving.
So 1 hour of driving will give me 10 Gb to upload, even driving around in a town with really good 4G coverage that will be a tall order.

In the future we might see systems that will start to dump the footage of your drive as soon as it see your home wifi, but you will then need a good size NAS at home, cuz if you drive say 2 hours every day you will generate about 20 Gb of data every day.

I think the best thing is to wait for dashcams with Tb harddrives in them, then at least it will be many days before some data is overwritten.
But saving all your data is just waste of storage in my eyes, if i have a good drive where i captured somthing worth sharing on youtube, after edit i have about 100 - 200 MB of data.
The other 20-30 Gb i generated on that drive is just waste data, there is no action it it and nothing worth saving.

Last edited:
Something like 2 hours of 1080p per day would be fine and free to upload to google/youtube over night over any decent WIFI connection.
There just seems like nothing still on the market which can do this?
Also how does the blackvue upload work? Maybe if i left my tablet connected with power in the glovebox that would be an option?

that would be about 16gb of upload, you want to leave your camera powered all night to do this? not too practical I would think

720p would probably be fine actually but even at 1080p and 16gb should upload overnight.

Currently i have my dashcam hooked up to a 10k mah battery which lasts all day and recharges when i drive.....

Last edited:
Currently i have it hooked up to a 10k mah battery which lasts all day and recharges when i drive.....

and you wonder why nobody is thinking of mass producing a product with this functionality? it's a bit too left field for the mass market to be able to deliver affordably

Considering that some dashcams are easily £200+ i wouldn't call a battery with pass through charging for less than £15 expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0118RQ8BS
Infact it is probably the best thing i have got as it enables always on recording very easily and can be hidden away easily as well

Does the blackvue allow uploading to youtube/google/cloud?
If so i think if i swap out my dashcam for one of those then that would be what i am after :)

pass through charging will kill a power bank before too long, it's not about price though but setup, configuration, networking etc that put it beyond the realm of the mass market buyer

current Blackvue models don't have any of this kind of functionality, there are some models meant to be coming that have some sort of uploading capability, I'd reasonably expect it would be limited as to what it can do and how much it can upload though

There just seems like nothing still on the market which can do this?
Also how does the blackvue upload work? Maybe if i left my tablet connected with power in the glovebox that would be an option?
The Blackview 650 series tablet / phone app does NOT easily upload data. Connecting to a PC via WIFI seems impossible on the data side, you can watch live view though which is surprisingly easy. Ensure your PC is connected to the Blackview.. then use this link http://192.168.8.1/blackvue_live.cgi

The solution to your concern (it seems to me) is to develop the PC viewer apps to connect to the files on the Blackview via WIFI so you can access the file structure.. in the same way as if you pulled the SD card

It'd be useful if pressing the event button does that to save the video as well as upload.
Same goes with G-Sensor triggered videos.
That'll be double backup of important footage.
But I don't want to upload whatever the camera records.

We already have dashcams that run days in parking mode on just the car's battery, wifi autoupload would not add much to the battery usage, especially if it were implemented intelligently. The wifi would not be on constantly, it would scan for the "home" SSID every few minutes. Once in range, it could either start the upload immediately or wait for a predetermined off peak time, say midnight and start the upload. With current 802.11AC, N and even G standards, it could upload a lot of footage in just an hour, let alone having an entire night if necessary. If it was also smart enough to have an option to automatically deactivate parking mode when in range of the home SSID, say for those who park in a dedicated garage and don't need footage of shadows on the wall, there would be even more battery savings. All of this is hindered more by marketing and software development than hardware limitations.

KuoH

@kuoh
I'm with @jokiin please let us know how to implement this (send us step by step instructions) and I'll get this implemented in the JooVuu X before launch. :)

Back