WiFi Issues on iOS12

Please choose the 5G Wi-Fi to see if any difference.

I have tried the 5GHz Wi-Fi for my iPhone X (iOS 12), iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 11.4), and Nexus 6 (Android 7.x.x), and have found that it didn't change much. The iPhones were still struggling, while the Nexus behaved perfectly (file transfer speeds is still a bit slow for my taste, even on 5GHz).

So a little update this morning. iOS 12 Developer Beta 3 was released, and I promptly installed it on my phone. During my way to work I tested it a total of 3 times, and it seems that this beta has fixed all, or most of the issues I had. First of all, the app now connects to the cam quickly and consistently. Secondly, I was able to pull up all the files on the cam (it had failed every single time before), and more surprisingly, playback the videos on my phone. However, download speeds still seem a bit slow to me, even with 5GHz network. Hopefully this can be improved in the future.

I will keep testing this, but so far the signs are very positive. Again, thanks all of you for your help and suggestions.

Thanks for share the feedback.
The latest IOS version we installed in 11.4.

I heard there are many improvements on IOS 12, look forward to try this soon.

Hi guys,

So another update for you. Been trying this out extensively today, and I think it's safe to say that this latest beta of iOS 12 has fixed my problems with the app and its connection with the camera. Same as yesterday, I have not once failed to establish a connection from the app to the camera. Viewing files works fine, though sometimes if you scrub too much ahead then it just buffers for a long time. Otherwise, file download speed still seems unsatisfactory for my liking (on 5GHz, using Samsung EVO+ 64GB card). The speeds are really inconsistent, too. For example, I once had it go from 0%-45% in 2-3 seconds, while other times it takes 2-3 seconds to go up 1%. I'm not sure if Viofo can improve the file transfer speeds, but I sure hope so. Each file is no bigger than 190MB, so it shouldn't be a big problem on 5GHz network. Other than that, the settings are applied correctly and instantly.

So far, I am happy with how the new beta is working with the dashcam. Just wishing for faster download speeds.

Glad to hear it, @ntc3freak
I gotta update my watch to the latest beta asap. Hopefully, it'll fix my headaches there.

I've got a 7+ on iOS 11.4 and like you even on the 5GHz network the transfer speeds seem super slow. The wifi transfer was one of the primary reasons, aside from a rear channel, I upgraded to the A129 DUO on my new daily driver. I've gone back to using a MicroSD Lightning port reader to transfer videos as it takes seconds to download multiple 160-190MB files.

pulling the card and using a reader is always going to be more practical for multiple files, wifi is ok for occasional transfer of a single file, better to run 1 minute loop if planning on using wifi though

pulling the card and using a reader is always going to be more practical for multiple files, wifi is ok for occasional transfer of a single file, better to run 1 minute loop if planning on using wifi though

+1

Yeah that's what I figured but was hoping the wifi would simplify that process. But 3-5 minutes to download one 150MB file seems a little ridiculous to me.

Something went wrong with this WiFi implementation.

For me 157MB was 90 seconds regardless 2.4 or 5GHz. I'm not able to smoothly preview any recording. Starts playing immediately, then after 1-2 seconds starts buffering, couple seconds of play, buffering and after three of four more times sometimes is able to play till the end (but usually not).

Also another strange thing - tried to move 100 files in CardReaderMode, connected via provided cable. Looks like it hangs on EVERY file for approx 12 seconds. Total Commander shows transfer bit rate approx 8MBps.
Even more odd was removing files at the end. Total Commander needs 24 seconds for removal of each file. Same as for transfer. Eager zeroing on each removal?

On Honor 8 there is almost no buffering and playback is smooth.
For download it was something like 40 seconds for 147MB, so twice as fast as on MotoX4 ... which is odd.

Will try to reformat SD card inside a device.

Any recommendations for a micro SD lightning reader? I'm on iOS 12 and wireless takes 5 mins to download either on 2.4 or 5 GHz

Back