WiFi issues

Thanks tonecas!

What if you want to download more than just events. Say, you just drove an off road trail and want the recording. Can that be done via Wi-Fi, or do you have to pull the SD card?

Thanks jokiin!

It doesn't happen that often but it's what has triggered me to replace the Blacksys. We just got back from a tour of the Sierra Nevada mountains and drove some great trails. When I went to check the video, there was nothing. It hadn't been recording for a few weeks, even though all the lights were on the cam and the red recording light was steady. I had the volume turned down because of all the annoying announcements, chirps and dings. When I turned up the volume, it was repeating "Please format card".

I'd like to be able to easily check that it's actually recording something, hence looking into the Blackvue because of the cloud option.

Also, I downloaded the Blackvue manual and it states that the orange LED blinks for normal operation. Does that mean that if the orange LED is blinking, it's working and the cam is recording? What if something happened to the card and it's unable to record. What does the orange LED do then?

the problem with these cams is that they use Wi-Fi to connect to a client and to connect to the Internet (cloud). this leads to several problems since it is not an intuitive behavior for most users when getting access to the cam's wi-fi. It would be good if they use Wi-Fi just for cloud access (the cam's Wi-Fi would work just as simple client getting internet access) and Bluetooth 4.0 (to be used by Android and iPhone) for direct client interaction. But this would mean lowering the profits of the dash cam makers...

AstroKat, you can use Wi-Fi on your home garage to check if the cam is working. You will have to set the cam to connect to your home wi-fi, probably every time you go home...

"You will have to set the cam to connect to your home wi-fi, probably every time you go home..."
Ugh, really? I was hoping it would connect when I got home and upload at least the events...

Is there really any point in spending the money to "upgrade" to the Blackvue? And the time undoing and redoing the hidden cabling!

What are the benefits over the Blacksys?

Reactions: RLS
Thanks tonecas!

What if you want to download more than just events. Say, you just drove an off road trail and want the recording. Can that be done via Wi-Fi, or do you have to pull the SD card?

IMHO, I would not rely too much on WiFi functionality. It’s there, it’s cool to pull a clip or two, it’s great to use as temporary viewfinder when you mount the cam,...

TBH, WiFi is not low-power. Even with a PMP or Neo/B124 pack, it will just drain your battery faster while giving more work/heat to the camera.

I’d recommend that you get a USB-C/Micro/Mini/lightning MicroSD card reader to connect to your phone. I keep one in each car.

Or get a WD MyPassport Wireless, which has built in SD card reader. You can have it set to automatically backup an inserted memory card, and it’s pretty fast (it has built in battery).

"You will have to set the cam to connect to your home wi-fi, probably every time you go home..."
Ugh, really? I was hoping it would connect when I got home and upload at least the events...

I would just throw a 256GB Samsung Evo Select (U3, green color, on sale at Amazon lol), and just back up regularly.

Is there really any point in spending the money to "upgrade" to the Blackvue? And the time undoing and redoing the hidden cabling!

What are the benefits over the Blacksys?

Video quality. Cable tucking can’t be that bad, and it will be worth it for “peace of mind”, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks RLS!

The cabling wasn't trivial as it's a hatchback and I had to get the mini USB cable to the rear cam through a conduit that wasn't much bigger than the mini USB plug, and already full of other wires and the washer fluid hose, plus the cable had to be routed behind the side airbags for safety.

For peace of mind, the main thing would be if the flashing orange LED on the Blackvue is a good indication that it's actually recording. Do you happen to know what happens to that LED if the card gets corrupted or dies and the camera can't record? I would prefer not to have the volume on most of the time.

Last edited:
It says "Check SD card" repeatedly and the only quick way to stop it is to unplug the cam until you can reformat the card.

It says "Check SD card" repeatedly and the only quick way to stop it is to unplug the cam until you can reformat the card.
Thanks, but what if you don't have the volume on? That's the exact same problem with the Blacksys. The record light is steady red but it's not recording, and when you turn up the volume it repeatedly says, "Please format card"...

On the Blackvue, what does the orange LED do when it can't record?

FYI, I received a reply from a vendor that the recording light is steady, not blinking, if there's a problem with the card. Can anyone who has one confirm this? Thx.

You have a faulty card. What does yours do. I don't have a faulty card to test for you.

The problem is with the Blacksys. The recording LED is steady whether it's recording or not. I'm wondering if anyone with a Blackvue has noticed what happens (with the volume off) if it can't record. The Blacksys seems to be working again since I formatted the card but I no longer trust it, as there's no visual indication that it's not recording (and the announcements with the volume on are annoying).

Back