WIFI models - which one should I get?

ciuvak

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I narrowed it down to three models:
Itronics ITB-250HD : no GPS, only capable to capture 720p, other than that seems pretty solid, size 97mmx40mm
BlackVue DR500GW-HD : 1080p+GPS, inconsistent feedback regarding video output, size 118.5mmx36mm
Cowon AW1 : 1080p+external GPS (optional), new camera so can't find many detailed reviews, not sure how the video quality compares with the other two cams, size 102mmx38mm
Looking for good video quality, discreet installation and don't care if it's got GPS (not a requirement for my use).
Please help me decide.

After I read fedbacks about these cameras I can say the Itronics have the best wireless. In my open space test, the distance was about 90-100m compared with only 10 meters of Blackvue. Cowon have bad image quality.

Enjoy,
Mtz

Video quality - I'm still researching to find some more reviews of the Cowon model.
But you bring up a great point about the wifi range. I didn't even think that these three cameras might be different in this area. I assumed -> made in Korea, so must use the same chipset and the feature is similar. I guess it's like with the video quality, every execution might be different, some weak and others not.
In addition to what you said about Blackvue's limited range, I also found two texts that are describing the wifi specs & range for Cowon AW1. I'm not sure if we have any native Korean speakers here, but the google translation sounds like this:
1) wifi is 802.11b/g, and the official range is 10m (Source). So same as Blackvue.
2) wifi works well without any obstacles for up to 20m, after which wireless signal is weak or broken (Source)
With more wifi capable models coming up this year, I think the wireless range should definitely be included as an important spec when reviewing these. Some people might find a 10m range acceptable, others might pick other models because they need longer range for their application.
I wonder why the Itronics model has such a high range of up to 100m (as reported by other users)? I guess this is due to the 802.11n technology that their model is using.
Anyway, getting back to my initial question, I think the Itronics is the model I should buy, the video output is acceptable and the wifi range makes it very attractive. The only remaining problem is to find it a good price and with the English software included. If any of the sellers are reading this, please send me a PM with an offer ;)

Mtz said:
After I read fedbacks about these cameras I can say the Itronics have the best wireless. In my open space test, the distance was about 90-100m compared with only 10 meters of Blackvue. Cowon have bad image quality.
Enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:

Enjoy,
Mtz

My Blackvue DR500GW can transmit the AV wirelessly for only around 3 to 5m. There is a shortage of 5m from the published 10m range specifications. I get similar result with the car windows wind down; I am not sure if this is due to the window film on my car but it should not really hinder too much WiFi transmission anyway.

Your Itronics ITB250HD WiFi transmission is terrific. When disassembled, one can upgrade the WiFi dongle to an even more powerful one? LOL!

There is a youtube video on this.

Wind down all the windows and test the range I guess, any metallic tint film will have some type of impact on wireless transmission I would expect

jokiin said:
Wind down all the windows and test the range I guess, any metallic tint film will have some type of impact on wireless transmission I would expect

An interesting though. Ever since I dropped vKool metallic tint film, now I am using 3M ceramic tint film, and it should not matter nor affect the radio signals transmissions drastically.

Back