Wifi or app issue?

vinhthepham

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The following functions are not working on my NextBase iOS app:
  1. Live view - says Live view is unavailable. When I click on Live view it shows me a wifi menu and I'm able to connect to the dashcam's wifi. In iPhone wifi menu it shows as connected but I don't see the typical wifi icon at the top of my phone.
  2. Under the DashCam sub-menu I see a listing of all the video clips but none of them will play and I cannot download any of the videos. Pressing the video clip does nothing. Pressing the download button also does nothing.
Some background: Just bought the unit and hardwired it to my vehicle. Read all of the instructions and watched the how-to videos. Upgraded to the latest firmware for the 522GW using my PC and am running the latest iOS on an iPhone 6s Plus.

Any one else experiencing similar issues? Thoughts on things to try?

Thanks,

Hi there,

Thanks for all the information.
What version of the app are you currently running?

Your Dash Cam is connected via Bluetooth, hence you're able to see the footage list, but because the Wi-Fi is not connected, you cannot see the Live View or download the footage.

I'd recommend trying a couple of tests;
1) If you close the app completely, and re-open, does the Wi-Fi issue persists?
2) If you activate Flight mode on your phone, then turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (but keep Flight Mode ON), can you successfully connect?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hello Millie-Nextbase

I was having the exact WiFi issue that “vangthepham” posted and I read your suggestion regarding two tests that you listed and I was able to view the live video with the 2nd test that you listed. After setting my iPhone Xs to “Airplane” mode the live video began to work.

So, what does this mean now? I hope I don’t have to keep my phone on “airplane” mode the whole time because it will force to have to return the dashcam in that circumstance. I just bought the nextbase 522GW three days ago.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for message. Glad to hear you managed to sort out the Password issue.
No, you shouldn't need to keep Airplane mode on. To identify exactly what's happening please could I have a screen shot of some details on your phone, mainly the Model Version.
If you go into: Settings-General-About; you'll see the details about your device. Please could I have a screen shot of the top technical details from Device Name down to Serial Number.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Good Morning Millie,

i have attached that screen shot that you requested. Will this glitch be fixed with a future firmware update?

also, I wonder why none of the nextbase reps that I had talked to regarding this issue know about this solution of the “airplane” mode option.

thank you again!

Attachments

• 9409D900-7213-4A7C-8B42-BF49910D4E2D.png
    9409D900-7213-4A7C-8B42-BF49910D4E2D.png
    701 KB · Views: 7
Hi Pete,

Thanks for message. Glad to hear you managed to sort out the Password issue.
No, you shouldn't need to keep Airplane mode on. To identify exactly what's happening please could I have a screen shot of some details on your phone, mainly the Model Version.
If you go into: Settings-General-About; you'll see the details about your device. Please could I have a screen shot of the top technical details from Device Name down to Serial Number.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie,

Now that I am able to watch the “live video” after turn on/off the airplane mode on the iPhone. When I got to work this morning and walked away from the dash cam and once I was in my office I tried to look at the live video on the dash cam because it stayed on but the nextbase app Is telling me that there is no dashcam connected. So, my question is; Do I not have access to live video or my recorded video files on the app unless I am in my car next to the dash cam? That is what it seems like because the moment I walked away from the vehicle it did not detect the dash cam anymore.

You were obviously out of range of the cameras wifi...just like you would be at home, viewing something over wifi, and walking away from the house.

Is there any update on this issue? Using an iPhone X with the latest IOS and Nextbase with the latest firmware. Putting my phone in Airplane Mode every time I want to connect to my Dashcam is not really acceptable.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Please update to MyNextbase Connect Version 1.2.5. This should remedy the issues you were facing. If you have any further issues, please don't hesitate to get in contact directly.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi,

I am afraid that this did not resolve the issue. Airplane mode is still required to get it working. Please advice.

Thanks.

What I am not understanding is how does it work when Airplane mode is switched ON because surely that switches both WiFi and BT OFF?

By default it indeed turns off wifi and Bluetooth as well, however you can turn both of them on again and only leave the wireless connection off. Next time you turn on airplane mode it will remember this setting.

Hmm. Thanks. I'll have a look at that on my phone (SGS9+)

So what the heck is the purpose of airplane mode?
I don't want to emulate an iPhone problem, just interested in this airplane mode anomaly.

It's not an anomaly, being able to turn wifi or Bluetooth back on while cellular access is off is an intentional option, there are situations where this is needed

To be more precise, the problem disappears when wireless is turned off. Using the term airplane mode in this context is too generic.

Ah Ha, But you started my puzzlement off by using the wrong term?:ROFLMAO:
However, what I didn't realise was that engaging airplane mode switched off the phone radio and not just the WiFi and BT. Yes I can see the point in having phone radio off and WiFi or BT ON but I can't see the point in having what's called airplane mode that doesn't switch them all off.

Back