WiFi password issue

Rob Taylor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new DR650GW-2CH professionally installed.

Have to say what a brilliant bit of kit with incredible picture quality on playback on both cameras.

WiFi advised me to change the default which I did using the app on my Android phone.......... Yes, I know, now, DONT! use the phone, make sure you alter the password using a computer. Else you get WiFi password not compatible or some such similar response.

So downloaded windows desktop program and reset the password, to no avail.

Bare in mind each operation entails removing camera, remove sim, place sim in computer, do business, save settings, remove from computer, place into camera, refit camera, wait while it boots up, activate wifi on phone, search, find, open app, connect ...................you know the score.

Reset to default and it connects ok and advises me to CHANGE password from Default for security, AAAAARRRgggghhh!

Reset to a new password and it will not connect / recognise the password.

I have even resorted to deleting app, reboot phone, download app again still to no avail so after several hours and several attempts its still has default password.

I'm obviously missing something but buggered if I can understand what.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

SORTED!

Its what the younger generation are for, sorting the teccy stuff out that confuses me.

I'm ok hands on stuff but the brain aches with computer, wifi, bluetooth etc.

Would appear that when I first logged into the camera my phone saved the default WiFi connection details.

Whenever I changed the password 1st) via phone app then subsequently via the windows app I had not deleted the original default password in my phones WiFi settings.
Therefore any new password I entered via the open phone app was not recognised as the phones WiFi settings were taking precedent.
Resetting via computer to default worked as thats what the phone had stored in its settings.

Hopefully might help someone in the future.

I gave up trying to change my password and now only get mildly annoyed when asked to change the default password. So, you did manage to change the default password and the secret was to do it in the PC? Seems I tried that among many other ways.. will have another go at it.. perhaps.. Not a lot of security risk there in my opinion, good luck to my neighbors trying at the right time to get my WiFi signal.

I just got my dashcam a couple days ago. I changed the password using my phone (Nexus 6P, Android 6.0.1, I'm not using cloud app, just the original) and it worked. I did notice that if I enter the wrong password, the app doesn't tell you. It just continues normally, but isn't connected to the dashcam.

I couldn't get my phone to connect to the camera. It worked the other day, even after changing the SSID and password. So I re-installed the firmware 1.011 and just left the default password and SSID. Now my phone will connect to the camera, but it may take several tries. The WiFi implementation on the Blackvue is pretty crappy. Actually all the PC software and Android app both seem half-baked.

Back