WiFi SSID not broadcasting - unable to connect.

To my understanding, the DR900S broadcasts WiFi in 5 GHz band on certain channels that are not widely supported by Android phones (tried OnePlus 5, Huawei P20, some Sony and Xiaomi so far), however it works perfectly in iPhone 6. On the other hand, it can detect and connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHz hotspots for the Cloud service.

I have had similar issue with the Drift Ghost 4K action cam a while ago, where it only could connect to iPhones whilst working in the 5 GHz'ish band, yet no other Android phone could detect it. Later on, the firmware update fixed this issue and 5 GHz band was detectable by all compatible smartphones.

Having said that, I believe BlackVue at some point will release firmware update to address this issue as well. I reckon the ideal solution would be adding WiFi band switch (2.4 / 5 / dual) in the dashcam settings.

UPDATE: As @CmdrBond pointed couple of posts above, when DR900S is connected to a 5 GHz hotspot for the Cloud service, it magically appears as available in Android phones as well in the 5 GHz band. Magic!

Last edited:
UPDATE

Firstly, my distributor has requested my camera back.

I have finished conducting my tests and have an apology to make, the camera IS transmitting an SSID, it's just that its on a rarely used channel (157).

According to the WiFi Analyzer Android App, my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 edge) shows the following 5.0GHz channels...

36 - 64 and 100 -112 Whether they are all supported or not, I do not know. I do know that 36 - 48 and 100 - 112 are

According to inSSIDer, my Windows 10 Laptop (with a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter) shows the following 5.0GHz channels...

All those shown for Android, plus...

112-140 and 149-165.

HOWEVER, I believe this is just the graph key on the program as it is still only showing networks within the 36-48 and 100-112 ranges. Despite having a place for channel 157, nothing is showing there, and that is important.

All my videos are here, I will be contacting my distributor to see if they wish to continue the RMA, or wait for a new firmware.

Last edited:
As per the title.

I bought the unit through TTW Distribution Ltd of Nottingham (blackvuehd.com).

It arrived today, and I set about fitting and testing when I got home from work this evening.

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to broadcast it's SSID.

So far, I have done the following:

1. Tried alternative devices - Both a windows 10 laptop and my trusty Samsung Galaxy S Edge (Android 7.0)
  2. Powercycled the WiFi on both devices, and then the entire devices
  3. Using the Windows viewer app, I changed the SSID and password directly, then tried the above again.
  4. I have even downloaded the latest firmware - 1.001 (which it the same as the factory distribution)
I have phone BlackVue in the states, but no satisfactory response,

I cannot speak to TTW now until Monday, when I have a 4 hour drive to Birmingham for a funeral.

To say I'm miffed would be an understatement,

Any suggestions>.

I have the exact same problem as you and I wanted to use the live feed so that I could position the camera correctly. My 4 gen ipod cannot see it, my Lumia 950 (which runs both bands) cannot see it and my brand new Surface Pro tablet can only see it when I switch the Atheros network adaptor to run on 5GHZ; it will not show up when it is set to the default "AUTO".
So, I have sent it back. I ordered this camera partly because of its specs and it does say in the blurb that it supports both WIFI bands. If this is the case then it should broadcast on both bands automatically so that my ipod can pick it up.

Blackvue needs to fix this in some way so that it will broadcast its supposed dual band. Or, they need a setting in place within firmware so that the user can switch broadcasting between these two bands. Until then, I will wait because I want to install it correctly.

I just received my Blackvue DR900s-2CH and I'm (likely) experiencing the same problem. No ssid is broadcasted (or on a channel that my phone(s) are not looking for. I will try the methods posted above to see if that helps. I second that Blackvue needs to fix this asap.

I just received my Blackvue DR900s-2CH and I'm (likely) experiencing the same problem. No ssid is broadcasted (or on a channel that my phone(s) are not looking for. I will try the methods posted above to see if that helps. I second that Blackvue needs to fix this asap.
I reached out to blackvue a few days ago and got a reply stating that they were,aware of the issue and,are currently working on new firmware that will allow us to switch between 2.4 and 5 GHZ within settings. Not sure when it will be released tho.

Sent from mTalk

I reached out to blackvue a few days ago and got a reply stating that they were,aware of the issue and,are currently working on new firmware that will allow us to switch between 2.4 and 5 GHZ within settings. Not sure when it will be released tho.

Sent from mTalk
Thanks for the update!

Would you mind stating which phone you have and OS version?

Sent from mTalk

Yes, they have told me the same, but I have also asked for a 5GHz band selector.

They have said this won't be possible due to differing countries regulations.

So I have also asked for region specific firmware (they seem reluctant to do this) or to at least add a "compatibility" 5GHz mode allowing the use of the most commonly used but least regulated (and therefore most crowded) channels, 36, 40, 44 and 48

Would you mind stating which phone you have and OS version?

Yes, they have told me the same, but I have also asked for a 5GHz band selector.

They have said this won't be possible due to differing countries regulations.

So I have also asked for region specific firmware (they seem reluctant to do this) or to at least add a "compatibility" 5GHz mode allowing the use of the most commonly used but least regulated (and therefore most crowded) channels, 36, 40, 44 and 48

I tried with several phones:
- Oneplus 5T (Oreo) -> 5Ghz and 2.4
- Motorola moto g4 (nougat) 2.4ghz
- Nexus 5 (nougat) 2.4 and 5ghz
- ZTE Axon 7 (nougat) 2.4ghz

Have been having the same Issue with android. However just did an update and it's fixed with latest firmware update (.003)! I just needed to go into the settings and change it to 2.4 Ghz (needed to connect via iPhone first though )

Put the SD card in a laptop or desktop.....

sorry, sarcasm font wasn't working, point was why set 5GHz as the default, better to have 2.4GHz as the default and not lock out half the users until they can reconfigure, when a device has wifi people are inclined to try that first

Have been having the same Issue with android. However just did an update and it's fixed with latest firmware update (.003)! I just needed to go into the settings and change it to 2.4 Ghz (needed to connect via iPhone first though )

I have just updated my camera to version .003 and yes, it is now HALF working. I would have liked to have been able to connect at 5GHz, but at least I no longer have to faff around with hotspots.

I have made a video of it -

wonder what the people without an iPhone do???
You can choose the Wi-Fi band from BlackVue Viewer as well :)
That's what I was hoping, but I can't find it in the viewer.

However, there is a way

1. Download the firmware as described in the video​
2. Format the MicroSD card in the BlackView viewer software​
3. Extract and copy the BlackView folder from the download to the newly formatted MicroSD card.​
This is the clever bit...​
4. Open Windows File Exlporer and navigate to your MicroSD card​
5. Open the BlackView folder, then the Config folder​
6. Right click on Config.ini and select edit​
7. Scroll down the text file until you get to the [Wifi] section​
8. Change WiFiBand=0 to WiFiBand=1
9. Save and close​

10. Safely eject the MicroSD from your computer and insert into your camera, sit back and relax.​

Back