Will be my first. What to buy?

Giant_JunK

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a dashcam virgin. I have a few worst case scenarios in mind that will dictate what I need. I need your help in determining what I need. $$$? Wont say its no object but Im pretty flush. If I need to spend $2000 I will.

Thank you all in advance.

What I really dont know is what would be the most useful and secure features in a worst case scenario like a carjack/theft or even a lying police officer bent on destroying evidence.

Features:
2-ch
HD with AUDIO
Minnesota, USA is single party consent so yes I can record audio AND video.
Front must be able to swivel to drivers window.
Large storage capacity.
Mute Button?

**Security? Transmit video to hidden secured storage? Transmit offsite if cops tow or its stolen to eliminate incar storage?**

** runs when car turned off. Police often ask you to turn your car off and remove keys.**

**Police often ask you to step out of car. May take me out of camera view.**

What do i need?

G_J

Ok I have been researching extensively for the last two days. Does ANY of them have a feature to transmit the video in real time wirelessly to a hidden secured storage unit? Or better yet, transmit in real time to an offsite cloud or other?

I am thinking it wont matter how good my system is if the police decide to tow the car and go through it to get the video or a thief steals the car altogether. Securing the video files is a top priority. Best Video quality with parking mode tied for second priority.

Thinkware 770 is what I am looking at so far. Will probably add a Cellink B. Better options?

Need to figure out the best way to secure the Audio/Video files. Would I be better off buying TWO individual front cams and using one for the rear and get max video quality?

Last edited:
At the moment its difficult for everyone to get literally every last required feature altogether in one dashcam.. Remote storage is available on some cams, mute button is available on some cams, 2 channel with a swivel-able front cam is possibly available? (I haven't seen what the f770 mounting bracket looks like personally). Cams are increasingly being made that are accepting upto 128gb cards too

for the time being focus on the utmost important requirements, or get a cheap put-me-on solution to use for a year to see if anything better hits the market down the line?

Yes, I am quickly realizing that swivel is NOT a popular option. I see some very nice tubular shaped cameras and am wondering why no one mounts one vertically and allows it to spin side to side. Seems like it would be an easy mount to make.Think BlackVue DR650S mounted with camera hanging vertical vs Horizontal.

I think quality vid and really good parking mode have now trumped my swivel option. I suppose I can get something on my phone easy enough that transmits realtime video out to cloud or FTP over 4G. I could also put a small bracket on the dash that lets me prop phone up pointing out driver window.

So realizing I can probably overcome lack of swivel with minimal effort; are there any options that are markedly better than the 770? I am of course keeping in mind that a battery, programmable cut off harness and such are going to put me upwards of $1K by the time I am done installing them; and that isnt an issue.

Last edited:
the video would be on its side on the tube cams :)

I have separate cams in the front and rear of my car, I don't mind not having the ability of manually saving events on the rear due to not being able to reach it, but I also have a spare cam that I take to work, but I use it extra in the car when I'm not at work, cos it swivels!

Unless someone comes along who knows of a better cam, I'd be swinging towards the 770 too

Cellink B is a favoured option by many for parking mode. I don't use parking mode at all on mine but I think its available for sensing impacts. You're right though, to get everything you need it's not cheap! I figured it's better to be as careful as possible where I park!

I see blackVue has DR750S 2-Ch with cloud. Two questions: how si the DR750S vs the ThinkWare 770? Also, can cloud feature transmit the video in real time to cloud for off-car storage?? Realizing it does require a phone or car based internet connection.

...Also, can cloud feature transmit the video in real time to cloud for off-car storage?? Realizing it does require a phone or car based internet connection.
In order to do real time transfer your connection has to be at least as fast as the data creation rate. How fast is your data connection?... and how fast does the camera create data?

Good questions. Im looking into that as I speak. I ask but also do the legwork myself as opposed to wait for answers. Real time HD streaming might be just a dream. Low res might be possible. Wonder if I can get something to downconvert the video files and upload in real time. That also might be just a dream for now.

The DR750S lists bit rates ranging from 4 to 12 Mbps. Both cams could be putting out 20Mbps.
https://www.blackvue.com/video-quality-settings-and-recording-time/

Also do I need to be worried about temperature? Its get cold here. in the extremes it can get down to -20's F/-30 C. What if car is sitting outside overnight in this temp? The 770 is at least rated to -10F for operation and -20 F for storage. Where as the BlackVue is only rated to -4 F. for storage.

Last edited:
Back