Will Gyro add an advantage to a dashcam?

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
This thread which is containing side by side comparison is because I remember some russian dashcam videos where the uploader used the YouTube image stabilization feature, but that feature was destroying a lot of image details making the video looking bad.

In this year I saw few Novatek NT96660 action cameras with Gyro, for example GitUp Git2, Firefly 6S or SJ5000X Elite. Personally I dont see any advantage for using a Gyro in a dashcam for normal roads, but maybe can be good for offroad.

For now I have only bike videos:

enjoy,
Mtz

I've come to the same conclusion as you. I dislike stabilization on a properly mounted dash cam. even in my lowered, short wheelbase vehicle, I'd rather do without. most dash cams are so wide angle that objects further in the distance aren't going to exhibit a lot of shake. with stabilization on, I can see my dashboard doing the dance. that looks worse to me.

now I'm writing this about my Sony AZ1VR action cam which uses electronic stabilization. this type of stabilization actually crops your video so that you'll get a slightly narrower FOV. I'm not sure what kind of IS the above cameras are working with. when they throw in the word "gyro" it makes me think of gimbal stabilization. I doubt that's what's being used in them internally.

Even on off-road is not looking bad when the viewing angle is interesting.

enjoy,
Mtz

It can be a big advantage if you want a narrower FOV!

There is also some logic to the argument that it reduces the amount of bitrate required as most of the image has less movement so the video becomes easier to compress. That can either result in saving card space or increasing image quality depending on how the camera handles the compression. Not convinced it makes much difference as there is so much movement in dashcam video anyway.

As far as watching the video, as abarth says, it just transfers the shaking from the main image to the dashboard, the result isn't necessarily better to watch!

It is different when mounted on my bicycle dashboard though, as the bicycle has no suspension and can be a bit wobbly it does make a significant improvement.

Reactions: Mtz
Maybe a gyro in a dashcam with a pretty narrow FOV, and though i would like a dashcam like that i dont think any of the makers will make one.

Hehe just now before pressing post reply i lift my eyes and see Nigels post :D

Reactions: Mtz
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sunny Side by Side Comparison 5
Back