Will it auto shut down?

commissioner

Reaction score
Country
United States
DR 500 is hard wired. To shut down I unplug it every time it's parked in garage. If I turn off parking mode, and leave it plugged in, will the unit shut down after a while and not drain power from my car battery? I'm concerned that constant plugging in and out will eventually make the power connection loose.

I don't have one, but i'll take a shot here.
DR 500 is hard wired
Okay
I unplug it every time it's parked in garage.
You mean unplug from the camera since it is hard wired correct?
If I turn off parking mode, and leave it plugged in, will the unit shut down after a while and not drain power from my car battery?
If it is hard wired to something in the car that looses power when the car is turned off yes.
If it is hardwired to something that has power even after the car is turned off it will always run unless you have a battery protection device installed to keep it from killing your battery or you could manually turn it off which might become tiresome.

Just like if you ran it plugged into a cig lighter if your can keeps constant power to the lighter socket the camera will always been on and the auto off will not work. If your car cuts power to the cig lighter when the car is turned off auto off will work correctly. I've had different cars that acted both ways.

Thanks for the info. I will just have to install a switch in the circuit and hit it to turn off the camera or keep unplugging it.

get power magic pro or something as I bet you will forget to turn it either on or off when you require it.

Thanks for the info. I will just have to install a switch in the circuit and hit it to turn off the camera or keep unplugging it.
Well first what is your camera hard wired into? is it spliced into your dome light, your accessory circuit, is it wired directly to your battery?

Since I don't own your model I can not run through your menus, but look for an auto off setting. Set it to the lowest possible turn your car off and hang around for a few minutes. See if it shuts down on its own.

A Blackvue 500 does not have an on off setting at all The Power Magic does that.

If you want it to shut down when the car is turned off, power it off an accessory feed that shuts off with the key

Plain and simple

Otherwise if you want it to stay on for parking you need a Power Magic.

Plain and simple.

No ifs or buts thats how it works

I see its hard wired if so it should be wired to a feed that turns off with ignition.

Did you cut the plug off the end to wire it in. If so you have deleted the fuse that protects the car from potentially going on fire. Not a very sensible thing to do

Last edited:
A Blackvue 500 does not have an on off setting at all
That seems a little rough having to buy an accessory to gain a feature a lot of other cameras come with.
Thanks for posting the correct info though I was taking a bit of a shot in the dark trying to help.

Back