Will not find GPS

Adrian L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dashcam records perfectly, but will never find GPS. The GPS symbol flashes on and off continually, even after an hours open country driving.

Power the dashcam outside of the car to eliminate things like a thermal windscreen that can often block GPS signals.

Isn’t the gps incorporated into the Mount? I only ask that because certain advertising clearly states that to transfer your cam between vehicles, you need the gps Mount.

Last edited:
Could be, I'm not that familiar with Nextbase.

If it's fitted then difficult to remove to test if the mount is defective or the signal is being blocked.

The dashcam records perfectly, but will never find GPS. The GPS symbol flashes on and off continually, even after an hours open country driving.
Is the power cable plugged into the GPS mount or directly into the camera, and check that the magnetic mount had a little stamp saying GPS somewhere

I've had the same problem with a 522GW that I bought a week ago.
The SOS function & the Alexa functions wouldn't activate & during a phone call from customer support I realised that the GPS wasn't locking on to any satellites so Nextbase have deemed it as faulty & are replacing it.

In my case it's not a windscreen issue as I previously had a 322GW that locked onto the satellites in a few seconds & I tested the 522GW with the mount that I knew was working so it has to be the dash cam that's faulty.

All I need now is the replacement unit & just hope I don't need the dash cam while I haven't got it.!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Could be, I'm not that familiar with Nextbase.

If it's fitted then difficult to remove to test if the mount is defective or the signal is being blocked.
The GPS mount isn't attached to the windscreen, it slides onto a base that is attached to the windscreen so it can be tested outside of the vehicle by using the car power socket lead.
Or it can be tested indoors near a window with the USB lead connected to a laptop or USB plug.

Last edited:
Hi Adrian,

1. I'd recommend ensuring that the cable is plugged in to the mount, and not directly into the camera. If it's directly into the camera, the camera will not receive GPS information.

2. On the Dash Cam's screen, there should be a GPS icon in the bottom right. If it's flashing, then the GPS is being detected, but cannot be connected to.

3. Please ensure the connectors between the GPS mount of the camera are clean, free of debris and undamaged.

4. Please take your mount and camera inside a house and attached it to an outer-facing window that has a clear view of the sky. Then connect it to power using the USB cable. Does the camera now show the GPS icon or any GPS information?

5. I'd recommend checking that your Camera is on the latest Firmware available. It should on R22.8.

If you complete all of the above and you still can't get a GPS signal, the GPS mount is likely to be faulty and the mount needs replacing. Please let me know if this is the case.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S 522GW 2
Back