Will RunCam 2 make a good dashcam?

DashcamFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was shopping for another discreet dashcam until I ran into an interesting action camera called RunCam 2. I was wondering if it's possible to make RunCam 2 as a dashcam like the Mobius C2? Does anyone have the RunCam 2? What is the downside to using it?

I was shopping for another discreet dashcam until I ran into an interesting action camera called RunCam 2. I was wondering if it's possible to make RunCam 2 as a dashcam like the Mobius C2? Does anyone have the RunCam 2? What is the downside to using it?
It's manufacturer warns against using it as a dashcam. I think it overheats when used in a car. From the User Manual ...

49e1c3b7db418010747459417aa62615.jpg

Weirdest thing is, that it ALREADY does have all features to work as a dashcam, autostart/stop, looprecording. It seems to be the battery they're affraid of.....

Well I have used Mobius for years on end with battery and it worked fine!

Found this review on their website though:

1. Great camera but...
    IcoRating4.gif

Posted by Unknown on 27th Feb 2016

Use the cam as a dash board cam and am very happy with its performance. The "but" is the lack of support. I don't understand why the cam doesn't come with a step-by-step instruction manual. Why does one have to go through all kinds of hoops to try and set it up? Why can't the entire set-up menu be accessed through the smart phone or the tablet? I rate this as 'poor customer support'.

Obviously the camera can be setup via wifi, maybe this guy didn't know?

I presume that when used w/o battery the last clip will be not stored or corrupted...?

Last edited:
from what I see, it has great night / low light recording...... so yes, I'd really like to try it out, if it weren't for the battery question.

I've been talking to these guys, and they simply have no interest whatsoever in making this camera suitable for dashcam use, which is strange because I think there's a great market for it. They even have no interest at all to provide a supercapacitor to use instead of the battery.

How's that for shortsighted marketing strategies.....

Back