Will the K1S work with the battery removed?

Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can the Koonlung K1S work with the battery removed? I don't want the dash cam's battery in there since I understand it heats up and can expand. So, the scenario would be that the dash cam would be recording only as long as the car's ignition is on (either via a switched --i.e., not always-on-- 12v socket or hardwired using a BDP device to prevent a dead car battery). I don't care if the last file being recorded each time the ignition is shut off ends up being corrupted. Thanks for your ideas and comments!

Can the Koonlung K1S work with the battery removed? I don't want the dash cam's battery in there since I understand it heats up and can expand. So, the scenario would be that the dash cam would be recording only as long as the car's ignition is on (either via a switched --i.e., not always-on-- 12v socket or hardwired using a BDP device to prevent a dead car battery). I don't care if the last file being recorded each time the ignition is shut off ends up being corrupted. Thanks for your ideas and comments!

You can just replace battery with supercaps, similar to what I did with B40.

I don't care if the last file being recorded each time the ignition is shut off ends up being corrupted.

You will care if the file being recorded when external power is cut is the one containing evidence of the accident you just had. A dashcam without a functioning internal battery or capacitor isn't fit for purpose.

Thank you for trying but I was already aware of the point you are making. Thanks. :)

The "I don't care" statement above is a rhetorical one to make it clear that I wasn't interested in exploring the accident scenario eventuality in this thread. o_O

I know you meant well.;) So I just wanted to clarify the rhetorical nature of my statement in the event there are/were others who might be mentally processing that the way you did. IAE, thanks again for your comments!!! :)

Yes. The K1S will work with the battery removed. IN THIS DCT THREAD HERE the user states that while connected to an always-on circuit he removed the K1S battery and the result was that the K1S continued to operate normally: "I removed the [K1S] battery and the DVR works just fine. When disconnecting all power for several hours none of the user settings where lost."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Koonlung 10
U Koonlung 4
U Koonlung 3
Back