Will the SG9663DR be more resistant to sitting high temps\sun?

krole

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would the SG9663DR be more resistant to high temps? Or more specifically sitting in the sun all day with parking mode enabled? Since the main DVR will be able to be tucked out of the way and be out of the sun, it should have a lower temp.

I am hoping so, but nothing is confirmed yet.
But common sense ( mine at least ) dictate that when the main unit ( main heat generator ) are not exposed to the heat of the sun too, then in my book it should be able to endure more.
The hardware will be the same, so nothing in that regard that will do wonders for heat endurance.

But i think the SG parking feature ( DC & DR ) will be running at 15 FPS max, so already there a savings on heat generation.

I must add that if makers could take advantage of the hidden main unit and so will have no problems making it larger, then it could also have a far better cooling solution and so for sure be able to handle / dissipate more heat.

BUT ! as i understand it SG will be sticking to a minimal main unit size and so probably also make it possible to use the DR as a motorcycle camera, in this case a am not quite sure if any additional heat tolerance will be a major difference, as the smaller housing will not have anything major in regard to being able to dissipate heat.
In this case the only gain will be that the main unit are out of the sun, and thats still a substancial heat source, so i do think there will be a plus here, just unsure of how large font size i will have to use for that plus.

Would the SG9663DR be more resistant to high temps? Or more specifically sitting in the sun all day with parking mode enabled? Since the main DVR will be able to be tucked out of the way and be out of the sun, it should have a lower temp.

yes

I must add that if makers could take advantage of the hidden main unit and so will have no problems making it larger, then it could also have a far better cooling solution and so for sure be able to handle / dissipate more heat.

BUT ! as i understand it SG will be sticking to a minimal main unit size and so probably also make it possible to use the DR as a motorcycle camera, in this case a am not quite sure if any additional heat tolerance will be a major difference, as the smaller housing will not have anything major in regard to being able to dissipate heat.
In this case the only gain will be that the main unit are out of the sun, and thats still a substancial heat source, so i do think there will be a plus here, just unsure of how large font size i will have to use for that plus.
I'd think that you might also be able to locate the main unit close to an AC vent. My fuse box is behind the glove box and one of the vents for the footwell happens to be located very close by. Active cooling from your vehicle's AC could make any issues of heat a thing of the past-at least while driving. Parking mode might still be an issue, but heat rises, so placing the unit lower in the car should still help.

Heat when driving have never been a issue with the good cameras, but while parked and maybe using parking mode, that's where things start to be problematic, and then having the main body out of the sun at least in my book got to be better.
So in that regard the DR cameras win, and TBH i do feel DR cameras are the way forward, good for thermals - good for stealth.
If you blow too kold air on a hot thing, you also run the risk of condensation forming, but probably not a problem in a dry hot place.

Damn...I just ordered the SG9663DCPRO instead of the Viofo A129 due to living in a hotter climate! I thought the SG’s were supposed to be the best against the heat?

Yes. but one thing is just sitting there in the blazing Florida sun, another thing is recording while that happen. ( additional generation of heat )
But this i assume is where the systems with remote cameras will have a slight edge ( don't think it will be the cure all )
But as you can put the main unit that generate heat while recording out of the sun, then at least to me this mean it should last longer as it just have the high cabin temperatures to deal with but at least no direct sun which i assume are even worse.
I wouldn't even mind if say a hard wire kit could be fitted with a fan option, this way you could put a fan on the main unit, which should not be a issue for the audio recorded as the fan don't have to be a "screamer" moving a lot of air, ii think as long as it just keep air moving over the main unit it should be fine.
BUT ! i have no idea if there are plans for doing something like that, i just think its a good idea myself, and something you can do as you can put the main unit and fan just about anywhere but on the dash or windscreen.

But then again i am the kind of guy that contemplate modifying his 400 USD computer motherboard, just cuz i think my ideas for that are great, and it will do away with the annoying heat sink Gigabyte have put over large parts of the motherboard.
And i will also NIX the onboard RGB led light, though i already have it OFF in the BIOS.

Should be good as its just mechanical / esthetics modding, not like i will be soldering on additional components like in the old days when i was more extreme.

Yes you can always gift the DCPRO to someone you care about, or sell it for that matter, it is just the form of the 2 that will be different, the image quality will be the same.

Yes you can always gift the DCPRO to someone you care about, or sell it for that matter, it is just the form of the 2 that will be different, the image quality will be the same.

Yea, I’m just assuming it will have 5ghz WiFi, better heat tolerance, updated internals, Bluetooth remote button, faster speeds, and of course a whole new set of wiring to install. Those are all things Id be interested in (except the wiring)

Yes 5GHZ seem to be slowly moving in, and though i don't use wifi as such " its about bloody time"
But i cant recall if it is a part of the DR, i don't think as as i think the hardware are the same as the DCPRO, but maybe other coming models.
It is a matter of what the SOC maker have integrated into their chip i think, not like the makers are cheap and only put in 2.4 GHZ wifi modems.

Back