Will there be a US/International version?

Look what i found http://www.yitechnology.com/firmware_en.php
"Latest firmware version: V-0.08.004-US"
From what i can tell it seems that is the long awaited English firmware. Can anyone test and confirm this works?

Thanx!

LE: The versions might not be compatible after all. The f/w size is different ~8MB for the Chinese and ~3MB for the International version. Also I opened the firmware for both versions and it seems that the chipset might be changed. Cannot be 100% sure of this but the f/w seems to be totaly different :(

Last edited:
Maybe the Chinese have voices and audio is big in size compared to a firmware code.

enjoy,
Mtz

If there is a hero willing to flash the English firmware to their Chinese Yi dash cam that would be excellent in the name of science for the future of all dash cam enthusiasts

OK give you some hints. Is Banggood or GearBest still selling the Xiaoyi Dash Cam with the Red Ribbon?
Mine came with a red ribbon but I have no idea what that means?

If there is a hero willing to flash the English firmware to their Chinese Yi dash cam that would be excellent in the name of science for the future of all dash cam enthusiasts
Ok, so I tried to do the reflash but no go. It detects the firmware, tries to start the upgrade but suddenly stops.

LE: I've been using the same 8GB class 4 micro-SDHC to do all the upgrades so far. So this isn't the reason it fails the upgrade. Probably they made a h/w modification to the EN-US version of the camera or there are some s/w checks.

Ok, so I tried to do the reflash but no go. It detects the firmware, tries to start the upgrade but suddenly stops.

LE: I've been using the same 8GB class 4 micro-SDHC to do all the upgrades so far. So this isn't the reason it fails the upgrade. Probably they made a h/w modification to the EN-US version of the camera or there are some s/w checks.

You are my dash cam hero! Thank you for trying. I wonder if you can disguise the file name by naming it the Chinese firmware version and maybe trick it into thinking it's the Chinese firmware?? I don't know computer coding :(

Both firmware versions are named exactly the same "firmware.bin". There is a second updating procedure designed for the case your dashcam won't start. It's more hardcore and involves powering on the camera into some sort of recovery mode. Gonna try this too.
Make sure you turn on the subtitles :)

Paradox I'm excited to see what you can do. I wonder if it's also possible to apply thermal paste after opening it to reduce the internal heat buildup?

Tried also the recovery mode reflash without any succes :(
Looking at my fellow countrymate Tiz's video there is a thermal pad between the chipset and the heatsink so adding thermal compound won't make any differrence imho.

Both firmware versions are named exactly the same "firmware.bin". There is a second updating procedure designed for the case your dashcam won't start. It's more hardcore and involves powering on the camera into some sort of recovery mode. Gonna try this too.
Make sure you turn on the subtitles :)
Any problems just let me know

Hello folks,

Just a small discovery after playing with it (the dashcam of course). The international firmware is in the wrong format on their website and the link contains an auto renaming feature that always output firmware.bin.

But the V-0.08.004-US is gzipped on the server (it's compressed) so you just have to rename the file with something like firmware.bin.gzip extract it, if necessary rename the uncompressed file in firmware.bin and you are ready to roll!

But unfortunately, even though the flashing is going well, a sad message appear at the end: "System language adaptation fail Access denied" but in English ;)

And if you try to reflash it, the popup window is in English too, so maybe we are on something.

Have a nice day!

bogomips

But unfortunately, even though the flashing is going well, a sad message appear at the end: "System language adaptation fail Access denied" but in English ;)
Same problem if you call the file fwcarc10.bin and let the bootloader flash it.

At a guess they have different bootloaders for the Chinese and International cameras and the firmware checks against the bootloader to see if it can run.

There is also an engineering mode which has more options that you normally see which is accessible by placing the file engmode on the root of the memory card.

upload_2016-4-20_10-27-21.png

That's good to know about the engineering menu thanks.

It's pity because I doubt that the hardware change in any way and the product number is the same for both chinese and international.

I hope they will make it happen or maybe email them at the address that appear below the error message.

@jokiin Would there be hardware changes to conform to FCC/CE regulations? More expensive?

If that is the case I wonder if the firmware is restricted to prevent enterprising individuals from modifying less expensive Chinese hardware and shipping it overseas to be sold at increased margins.

@jokiin Would there be hardware changes to conform to FCC/CE regulations? More expensive?

there certainly would be if the Chinese variant couldn't pass the test

If that is the case I wonder if the firmware is restricted to prevent enterprising individuals from modifying less expensive Chinese hardware and shipping it overseas to be sold at increased margins.

a lot of Xiaomi product sold is grey market, bought in the local market and resold by opportunists, typically by sellers with lousy customer service, you generally want to choose who you work with and not have your product misrepresented and poorly supported by someone that just wants to make a quick dollar, not if you value your brand at least

Reactions: Mtz
there certainly would be if the Chinese variant couldn't pass the test

a lot of Xiaomi product sold is grey market, bought in the local market and resold by opportunists, typically by sellers with lousy customer service, you generally want to choose who you work with and not have your product misrepresented and poorly supported by someone that just wants to make a quick dollar, not if you value your brand at least

Makes sense. They would have to more strictly manage their brand overseas as it's more important than the Chinese market I imagine. Restricting supply would be one way.

Thanks.

Back