Will this dashcam drain my car battery?

MNcasual89driver

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's the model
They tell you to keep it plugged in to the car charging port/cig lighter port when the car is off, I'm guessing because it has a "Parking Monitor" (motion detector) feature where it will start recording if someone bumps or comes near your car.

What I'm worried about though is this thing draining my car battery. I really can't have that happening to me in the winter in Minnesota its a nightmare when it happens. I'm a first time dash cam owner, just installed today. Really don't want any negative winter experiences, would null and void all benefits if it kills my car battery. Thank you very much for taking time to read/respond.

Yes, will kill your battery because 5V dashcams cannot have voltage cut protection by firmware or by Menu. Also seems to be a poor dashcam, better look for another product. That 8GB Sandisk card is like a joke.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, will kill your battery because 5V dashcams cannot have voltage cut protection by firmware or by Menu. Also seems to be a poor dashcam, better look for another product. That 8GB Sandisk card is like a joke.

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't think I'll be buying another dashcam. I am not a serious dashcam user. I bought this about 6 months ago and never installed until today so I won't be able to return.

Should I unplug it when not in use? If so, will the "Parking Monitor" features still work?

Last edited:
No electronic device will work without power. Parking mode only works when the dashcam is powered.
Just plugging and unplugging your dashcam based on the cars use will not hurt your car battery.

Last edited:
Just unplug it unless you can determine the cig lighter port turns off with the ignition

Back