Will this on/off switch work?

ShocWave

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I want to switch off the dashcam when I'm parked in the garage, but don't want to manually unplug the cable every day.
I am thinking of using the empty expansion holes next to my steering wheel to install a on/off switch.

I've drawn up a diagram of what I intend to do. Does anyone know if this will work?
Will there be any damage when I flip the switch while the car is running?

dash.jpg

That will work fine, no risk at all.

Note that you will have to remember to turn it back on, otherwise you get no recording the next day. On some cameras, such as Viofo A129, you can turn the camera off by pressing the power button on the camera and it will automatically restart when you next start the engine, you can't forget. Don't know what the situation is with your camera.

If you are putting a switch in a spare position on the dash, it is often possible to buy the switch that was designed to go there by the car manufacturer so that it fits and looks right. Of course sometimes it is the wrong sort of switch.

I'm actually using a 3-wire kit similar to what Viofo uses, so it might have the same feature.
But I don't want to reach up to hold the power button down for 15 seconds each time I want to turn it off.
Having a switch is much quicker, and within reach.

better to use a SPDT switch, wire one input to B+ and one to ACC, if you switch it to ACC camera will power off when you turn the car off, when on B+ it will continue to run

your current SPST switch will mean if you forget to switch it back on you won't be recording, easy thing to forget to do, SPDT means you won't get caught off guard

Why not hook it up to an accessory fuse

I have a 3-wire kit, it's already hooked into acc fuse.
There's 3 wires: ground, always on, only on when car is running.
It goes into parking mode automatically when the car is shut off.
The switch is just an option to turn everything off when I choose.

better to use a SPDT switch, wire one input to B+ and one to ACC, if you switch it to ACC camera will power off when you turn the car off, when on B+ it will continue to run

your current SPST switch will mean if you forget to switch it back on you won't be recording, easy thing to forget to do, SPDT means you won't get caught off guard

Good idea. This way, the dash cam is never "off" when the car is running.

Last edited:
I have a 3-wire kit, it's already hooked into acc fuse.
There's 3 wires: ground, always on, only on when car is running.
It goes into parking mode automatically when the car is shut off.
The switch is just an option to turn everything off when I choose.
having the power wire on a SPDT switch to B+ and ACC would mean the worst that could happen is you don't have parking mode if you forget to switch it back, using an SPST switch on the B+ means it's on or off, no fallback

having the power wire on a SPDT switch to B+ and ACC would mean the worst that could happen is you don't have parking mode if you forget to switch it back, using an SPST switch on the B+ means it's on or off, no fallback

Capture.JPG

I think I might need a DPDT switch? Due to the complicated nature of the 3-wire kit, in order for me to turn off parking mode but still enable recording while the car is running, I need to reverse the two connections as seen on the image.

With my numerous cams, I can't leave them on for parking for more than an hour's time. Having my driving-only cams on a switch makes it simple and easy to deal with. I have forgotten to switch them on and off a few times so eventually I'm going to wire in a relay to switch them automatically. My 'failsafe' is that my 2-channel parking cam is wired separately and is always on so I'm never without at least some coverage ;)

A convenient switch you can work by feel beats the heck out of trying to do button presses on a cam or plugging and unplugging ciggie socket adapters.:cool:

Phil

What type of parking mode does it support?

I think it only captures in timelapse unless motion is detected or something like that.

Anyway, I think I figured it out. I found some diagram online on how to wire a DPDT switch to reverse the two cables, which will give me what I need to make my 3 wire kit always turn on the dash cam when the car is running. Even when the switch is in the off position, the camera will turn on when the car is running, but shut off when the engine is off.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:
the details for what modes the camera will work in depending on how it is wired with that hardwire kit only apply to the mini series cameras, it won't work the same with your camera

Actually, the 3-wire kit works with the pro from all the reviews I've seen so far. It's often sold as a bundle. There's even a page in my manual about it. I'll be wiring everything up over the weekend, so I will find out soon enough.

Regardless of "parking mode" functionalities, the main goal of this thread is an on/off switch, which I believe has been figured out :)

I couldn't find a manual for your model, the only one I could find online was just a quick start guide

I think it only captures in timelapse unless motion is detected or something like that.

Anyway, I think I figured it out. I found some diagram online on how to wire a DPDT switch to reverse the two cables, which will give me what I need to make my 3 wire kit always turn on the dash cam when the car is running. Even when the switch is in the off position, the camera will turn on when the car is running, but shut off when the engine is off.

View attachment 50512
View attachment 50513
Hi. I'm totally green on the subject. to confirm, these two cables go to ACC (red) and B+ (yellow) fuses right?

Attachments

• IMG_20220701_204108.jpg
    IMG_20220701_204108.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 12
Is this a DPDT on/on module or on/off/on?
I need some more info on it please because as I see it, when using DPDT switch the camera will work the same on both ON positions. But I might be missing something

Back