will timelapse mode at 1 photo every 0.5 second work at 16 MP?

Bob Wright

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Xiaomi Yi, Firefly 8S 90
I recently got a Xiaomi Yi, not for use as a dashcam but for skydiving (see my Avatar) and primarily for shooting 16 megapixel stills, hopefully 2 per second in timelapse mode. The specs for the GoPro Session says it will shoot 2 per second at 8 MP and the GoPro Hero 4 will do 2 per second at 12 MP resolution.

The unhacked specs for the Yi offer up to 16MP still resolution and offer timelapse intervals as low as 0.5 seconds so I (perhaps naively) assumed it could do both simultaneously. I'm new at this so please excuse my math if it's wrong but... each 16 MP JPEG still seems to be almost 4 MB filesize. Two per second seems to suggest 2x4=8 MB per second = 64 Mbps. Will the stock Yi (23L) without any bitrate hacking achieve this? Will it even do it with one of the amazing hack scripts I've seen on this site?

Yes, it works with 16 MP ! But with 0.5 and 1s interval, timelapse is exposure locked. And I noticed that the CreateDate tag could be sometime wrong, with a few seconds delay.

OK, I finally got a Sandisk Extreme Pro MicroSD card and tried it. I see what your mean - it will do approximately 2 4 MP JPGs per second and the exposure is locked. This will be problem for us as we turn on the camera inside the airplane (where the lighting is much less than outside). If it locks the exposure for inside the airplane then all the freefall pictures will be overexposed.

Is it possible to set up manual exposure with a script so that I can preset normal outdoor lighting (sunny or partly cloudy) so it would use that setting instead of locking on the "inside the plane" lighting?

Thanks for any help - I really haven't looked into what these scripts can do.

Back