Window Mounting

Brunkerboy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I just installed a Blackvue DR750-2CH yesterday for my work with Uber. One of the issues i never even considered was how people slamming the front door would affect the front camera. Very early this morning after about 20 trips and almost as many door slams, the camera fell from the window. The dashcam is mounted behind the rear view mirror, not way over next to the passenger front pillar. I followed the mounting instructions to the letter. What surprised me also was the 3M tape is still adhered to the windscreen. It was the actual cam mount that came away from the 3M tape.
How do off-roaders ensure their dashcams stay secured? What is the best high heat, vibration resistant mount for a DR750. It does seem unbalanced with the mounting bracket at one end only.

Stickers saying "please don't slam the door"

i had the same happen with a camera, in the end i took the camera itself off its mount, then smeared some CA glue on the plastic mount and pressed it back up against the dual sided tape on the windscreen, since then it have not fallen off.

But you have to be Very careful with CA glue around camera lenses as the fumes can ruin the lens coatings, but i think the DR750 can also slide off its mount ?

Maybe widen the mounting plate by super-gluing or epoxying a larger black plastic plate to it? (to allow you to use a larger piece of 3m VHB)

When i had the problem it was like it was just impossible to get a proper bond between the mount and the sticky pad, i tried 3 new ones and each time it was the same problem, and in between attempts i cleaned the camera surface and the last time i even sanded it too to make 100% sure there was nothing on the surface.

Thats not CA glue you have there, but it might still work fine.

I have only had this problem that one time, and then i have heard of a brand that got stuck with some fake 3M pads that gave them problems that was fixed by making sure the replacement one was genuine 3M pads.

So i have been away from home for a few days. I let the glue set over that period. I had placed some gaff tape around the mount to hold it in place. But just removing the tape now was enough to dislodge the bracket. I am frustrated with how to mount this now. I will remove the 3M pad from the glass. Start afresh. I will get new 3M tape and secure a larger plastic base to the mount using CA glue. Is that like a two part epoxy? Where can i get some?

CA glus AKA carzy glue / super glue or second glue here in Denmark, CA are short for Cyanoacrylate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
https://web.archive.org/web/2015031...ndPoisonings/SafetyintheHome/superGlue_ap.asp

Here you can find it at a lot of places from gas stations and so on.
The stuff can harden up fast in the tube so i normally buy a little box / sheet with 3 little tubes with 1 gram in each, this way i dont waste much if i dont use all of a tube.

you can get it in a range of hardening speeds, the fast ones are instant some others are more gel like and allow for some moving around of the 2 parts before it set.
In the locktite brand i think its number 401

If you are a DIY person then having a little CA glue around the house are always good, it grip pretty god and work on a range of stuff.
Its not a filling glue to parts have to line up against each other good, and if the surface are smooth a little sanding first will not hurt.

8955982577694.jpg

Dont get the stuff on fingers and touch them together or touch things you dont want to be stuck to :p there is a reason it is nicknamed crazy glue and feature in a few movies as a prank gluing people to toilet seats and what not.

Last edited:
Back