Windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file?

muso

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I get this message almost 50% of the time while trying to play files. I have a DOD ls300w dashcam and another cheaper blueskysea both 1080p. I keep one in each car. I use sandisk class 10 32 gb micro sd cards and format them all the time. I also have a Kingston class 10 32 gb micro sd card (it happens less on this card but still happens). I have googled trying to find answers, I have tried different media players but get the cannot play file message. With Windows media player as soon as the words "media changing" appear when I open the file I know it isn't going to play. I have tried copying the files direct from card to hard drive before playing opening them and still a large number of them are not playable. I am getting another class 10 32 gb Kingston card for the other car so I can get rid of the sandisk ones completely.........any ideas other than what I've tried so far?

I'm scared that if I'm involved in an accident I may not be able to recover crucial footage!

I once used a mov. video file repair tool and it did recover the file but I don't want to have to do this all the time.

have you tried VLC? it plays almost everything for me.

registratorviewer can fix a broken file if you give it a good file recorded with same camera/settings to compare with.

My friend use MPC-HC for his every day playing stuff needs, he will never go back to windows player that he for some reason is mad about.

But then again my friend get mad easy, and he is a expert in holding a grudge. :)

Tried VLC it played a couple then I upgraded it to the newer VLC version and I get the message "VLC media player can't recognise file" maybe if I roll back the VLC player to the previous version it may work. I think Windows media player is doing the damage, in that it's modifying something within the file making it unplayable.

in that it's modifying something within the file
I don't think WMP has any editing options; probably you opened another file which was more corrupted.

Ok I've been using only Kingston class 10 32 gb micro sd cards for well over a week now (I have given my Sandisk micro sd cards to my son to use so they are nowhere near my dashcams) If I open the files with Windows media player I run the risk of the file becoming unplayable with any other media player. So I copied all the files to a folder to get them off my sd card and they all opened with VLC player but wouldn't play properly, jerky movement, with pixelation and sometimes the whole screen goes green for a couple of seconds. Then i opened some files with Windows media player and a couple played perfectly but the third one I got the "media changing" message then the "Windows media player encountered a problem while playing this file" message. I tried to play the same file with VLC player again but this time I got a message saying "VLC can't recognise the input's format" and it now cannot be played with anything!

I've checked the properties and it's still a Quick time movie (.MOV) file.
I want to try and repair this file to see if it can be played again, but something happened after it was opened with Windows Media Player making it unplayable, the same file opened and played with VLC player before.

It happens with BOTH Kingston class 10 32 gb micro sd cards and with BOTH dashcams which are in separate cars.

Any ideas?

It happens with BOTH Kingston class 10 32 gb micro sd cards and with BOTH dashcams which are in separate cars.
Any ideas?
WMP doesn't have editing capabilities. How do you transfer data to your PC ? Either the cable to transfer data from your dashcam is faulty, the HDD of your PC, or some malwares cause problems.

That or WMP could be the issue. Uninstall WMPand reinstall and try again.

I've just tested todays recording loops from the card, it appears that I was wrong in blaming WMP. I first opened up files using VLC all played except for 3 files. These 3 files also failed in WMP as well, so there is something wrong with the files.
Next I will select VLC player as my default so WMP has nothing top do with it and see what happens.

I just remove the micro sd card from the dashcam and load it into a holder and plug it into the MMC/SD port on the front of my computer

I just went for a 30 minute round trip which is pretty much 10 x 3 minute record loop MOV files. I selected VLC player as my default before even before putting the sd card into my computer's sd port. Of the 10 files 3 would not play with VLC ("can't recognise the input's format") Then I changed my default back to Windows media player and the very same files would not play so it's not the media player that's the problem. Something else is causing 30% of my mov. video files to be unplayable, this is not good because if I'm involved in an accident and need the footage it's not much use if the video file is corrupt.

Tried a different PC yet?

Checked the cards are ok?

How is the battery in the camera?

I have not tried a different computer, but will try my son's lap top, my computer is the only PC in the household.

Both Micro SD cards are new (and it occurs with both of them.)
Both dashcams are quite new (one still under warranty) It occurs on both dashcams.

where were the cards purchased?

empty everything off the cards then test with this http://www.mediafire.com/download/t4da2v0v7axs9cz/h2testw_1.4.zip

trying another PC is worthwhile as the different players still use the same libraries and codecs in a lot of cases so still a different player might not rule out a problem on your PC

I just remove the micro sd card from the dashcam and load it into a holder and plug it into the MMC/SD port on the front of my computer
Transfer and compare the same clips, to check if they are still corrupted, using:
1) another holder (µSD to SD adapter);
2) a USB cable A to mini-B to connect your PC with the dashcam; use the dashcam as a card reader.

1) another holder (µSD to SD adapter);.

that's a good point, even the card reader itself can cause a problem, always better to copy the files to PC first also as high bitrate files can choke the throughput of the USB port

Tried a new Sd card holder, no difference. I tried to plug the dashcam directly into the computer without removing the media but all I get is a message on the dashcam screen saying 'mass storage' and cannot get it to respond, but will try again. Both the Kingston cards were bought off Ebay Aust, the Sandisk cards were bought from Office works.

If I could find software to repair the corrupted files so they are playable it wouldn't be so bad but cannot find one that works, they say 'no data to repair' in spite of the fact that it shows as a full 3 minute loop on the card and hard drive.

If I could find software to repair the corrupted files so they are playable it wouldn't be so bad but cannot find one that works, they say 'no data to repair' in spite of the fact that it shows as a full 3 minute loop on the card and hard drive.

there's a repair function built into Registrator Viewer

Back