Windshield reflection - polariser filter to reduce internal reflections and glare

tempestv8

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Has anyone come up with a solution for the Itronics dash cams?

The picture is very good but marred by the reflection coming from the dash.

I did do an extensive search on this forum, as well as the www.rdforum.org forum and found nothing. The threads that do talk about circular polarisers are concerning BlackVue, FineVu and other makes, but not for an Itronics. Would appreciate your help pointing me to something specific for Itronics.

I did do an extensive search on this forum, as well as the www.rdforum.org forum and found nothing. The threads that do talk about circular polarisers are concerning BlackVue, FineVu and other makes, but not for an Itronics. Would appreciate your help pointing me to something specific for Itronics.

I've dissembled and painted black GGS Magnetic Polarizer Filter Lens 18mm with adhesive ring for Digital Cameras

http://www.ebay.de/itm/GGS-Magnetic...1170972?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item19f269521c

It has a bit bigger diameter as the lens of Itronics, but you can wrap some duct tape over the lens to make it little bit bigger :) Or fix some kind of iron ring on the Itronics lens to make magnet do the "hold me" job :)
The difficult part will be to adjust polarizer without external display ;)

Sorry for my English.

one way to do it without a display is to make some marks every 2mm or so around the filter. Then start at one side, start recording, then say out loud which mark it's at as you rotate the filter. Then play it back on computer and listen to see which number looks best then go back to the car and set it there. Record one more time to verify and you should be good. Much less back and forth that way.

Also once you have it set where you want it you can glue the ring to prevent rotation or just make a set of marks so you always know where it should be.

The difficult part will be to adjust polarizer without external display ;)

Thanks for sharing your solution, Ansi3k. Much appreciated!

I bought one of these RCA video cables which I intend to plug into the Aux input on my SatNav unit.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261085853204
It may help with finetuning the adjustment of the circular polarizer.

I was hoping for a ready-made solution, without having to disassemble the dash cam. I also want to be able to easily remove the polarizer when driving at night, to maximise the amount of detail that the camera can record when there is not a lot of light.

I will keep searching and if I do find a solution, I will post it back.

...without having to disassemble the dash cam...
You do not need to disassemble the cam. I've dissembled only filter self to paint it black. If silver color of the filters rings is okay for you, you cal let it be. I will make tomorrow a photo of the cam.

Back