Wireless rear dashcam

Dollerds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for a dash cam that has a good front dash camera, and a wireless rear camera , and the rear camera will transfer the picture to the storage chip in the front camera. I have seen some wireless back up cameras , that transfer the picture to a viewer in the car / truck cabin , but cant find a dash camera that will do this and store the pictures. Thanks for your help.
Steve Dollerd
Dollerds@yahoo.com

unlikely you ever will, not based on any current technology at least
Would be nice though.. even for the front camera.. Then one could have the camera devoted just to taking pictures.. and the storage someplace else where size does not matter.

The closest you can get is a wireless network based home security camera system, but you still have to supply power to each camera. But those aren't designed to handle being turned off and on constantly

I have a cheap front dash cam, it works OK, I would like to add a rear camera. It would be beyoud my old ass to install the rear one myself. I might have to bite the bullet and see if Best Buys Geek squad could wire it up, and how much it would cost to do so. Thanks for the feed back

I have a cheap front dash cam, it works OK, I would like to add a rear camera. It would be beyoud my old ass to install the rear one myself. I might have to bite the bullet and see if Best Buys Geek squad could wire it up, and how much it would cost to do so. Thanks for the feed back

Do you have a cigarette lighter jack in the back? You could just wire a dash cam to that

Wireless rear cam would require a battery, and they don't ever last that long in dashcams

Do you have a cigarette lighter jack in the back? You could just wire a dash cam to that
No cigarette lighter, its for my 2015 Ram 1500, I was hoping to put it near the license plate, and take power off the license plate light wires, so it would have to be water proof. Appreciate the idea, I might be able to rig something up, separate from the front dash cam , like you said, its a new direction for my thinking. Thanks.

No cigarette lighter, its for my 2015 Ram 1500, I was hoping to put it near the license plate, and take power off the license plate light wires, so it would have to be water proof. Appreciate the idea, I might be able to rig something up, separate from the front dash cam , like you said, its a new direction for my thinking. Thanks.

Why don't you just put the rear camera in the truck cab? Do you have a camper shell or something blocking the view?

I am leaning that way, that would be an easy fix. I am going to look for more dual lens and see what I can find. I was just looking at dash cameras on WISH.Com , its a web shop in China. You can buy stuff at great discounts. I am not sure about the quality. For the prices they ask, I may try one and see. Thanks

I am leaning that way, that would be an easy fix. I am going to look for more dual lens and see what I can find. I was just looking at dash cameras on WISH.Com , its a web shop in China. You can buy stuff at great discounts. I am not sure about the quality. For the prices they ask, I may try one and see. Thanks

It's easier to just have two separate cameras. I have 4 cameras now-- 3x Garmin 45 for the front, left, and right, and 1x Garmin 65W in my rear hatch

Thats a great idea , I will check into that, thanks for the ideas. Now its time to do some research. Do you have a power divider for a cigarette lighter, to run all 4 ? How is the picture quality ? Do any of them run when the vehicle is parked ? , My wife got a big dent in the front of her car when it was parked. I would love to know how it was done, as she always pulls into her parking spot, [ leaving the rear end of the car in the driving area ] in the parking lot. and there is a 3 foot grass divider between the rows. Thanks.

Thats a great idea , I will check into that, thanks for the ideas. Now its time to do some research. Do you have a power divider for a cigarette lighter, to run all 4 ? How is the picture quality ? Do any of them run when the vehicle is parked ? , My wife got a big dent in the front of her car when it was parked. I would love to know how it was done, as she always pulls into her parking spot, [ leaving the rear end of the car in the driving area ] in the parking lot. and there is a 3 foot grass divider between the rows. Thanks.

There are cameras with a parking mode like the Thinkware F800. Garmin 45, 55, 65W cameras also have parking mode. But for parking mode you have to hardwire to constant power

I use a splitter from Amazon for the rear dash cams which is connected to the port in my hatch area. The brand is Atolla and it has a 10 second delay to supposedly protect the cameras from overvoltage. Not a fan of that feature

I also have one of these which has no delay but it has a switch on the plug https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0721DYG7X

The license plate wires only come on when the parking or headlights are powered. If you have a trailer plug in the back, you can take power from it. I would just place the camera on the rear sliding glass window.

Having a camera on the outside of the car are not advised, the optimal will be to have them on the inside and if possible in a place covered by a wiper.
I am fortunate to have that both front and rear on my little JAP car that could fit in the bed of that pickup :giggle:

The user @Dashmellow in here are probably the go to source for multi camera systems in trucks.

Tapping into the fuse box are pretty easy too ( lots of videos on youtube on how to do that, which are almost a no tool needed job ) i did that and installed a 3 X 12 V adapter in the boot of my car, and it even have a 2 A USB plug too.
Took +12V from the fuse box ( seat heaters ) with a piggyback fuse adapter and grabbed the -12V from one of the bolts holding my rear seat in place.

You can also get multi port USB power supplies/chargers, i have a couple of those in my glove box to power /charge everything USB related ( though i will not use a long USB wire to power something in the back, hence the 12 V expansion i made back there.
Those USB chargers you would want them to be over 2 A on each port, and it require a little careful shopping as what is claimed isent always true.

Last edited:
It sounds like the best solution here would be a single channel rear facing camera powered by a 10 or 15 foot USB-A to mini-B cable from a dual port USB cigarette lighter charger up front. I have my rear facing camera mounted to the headliner facing out through the middle sliding glass panel in the back of an extended cab pick-up.

For cables I highly recommend the Monoprice USB to mini-B 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core Cable w/ ferrite core and gold plugs or the 28/28AWG version without the ferrite core. The thicker wire version cable be a little more difficult to work with but will assure more trouble free operation with the long cable run.

cable.png

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5450&seq=1&format=2

I like the RAVpower USB chargers such as this 4.8amp model but any decent quality charger should do as long as it has enough output for two dash cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B071FHZRQN
This is a very easy DIY project that just about anyone can do without having to go to a professional. Run the cable under the seats, along the trimwork on one side of the vehicle or the other and up to where you've mounted the camera. It can be done fairly discreetly without having to completely hide the cable.
dualusb.png

Back