Wiring a cheap ebay mini dashcam

crash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have installed a couple of Nextbase 512G cameras to our cars, using power sockets, but was looking for a very cheap camera for the rear. I ended up buying the cheap, and hopefully cheerful, 720p(ha!) mini dashcam that is everywhere on ebay. I initially intend just powering it from a power socket in the boot. The problem I have is that the connecting cable that it came with terminates with a yellow video plug and 3 unlabelled wires (red/black/white). I just do not really have a clue what each one is. I'm presuming that I will be soldering 2 of them to a 12v power socket adapter but which ones and what about the third. Is it an earth? Here is a pic to illustrate what I am looking at. I know that I am probably being a bit dim but don't want to either fry the camera straight away or damage the car's electrics. The other end of the cable has the socket to take the camera connecting plug you can see.
Any help will be gratefully received. Many thanks.720P MINI DASHCAM.jpg

White = ACC / ignition / switched fuse
Red = constant 12V battery
Black = earth / car body

RCA plug = video output to external monitor.

P.S. some of thos cheap so called HD 720p are VGA interpolated to 720p, but you can check this from original video properties later on.

Edit: picture diagram added below

IMG_20160219_113051.jpg

Last edited:
Gabacho,
thank you.

niko,

that is greatly appreciated. More so because I can see that you are a retailer and I didn't cover myself in glory by sourcing from ebay.
I have never dabbled with car electrics and am feeling very dim here. How would I go about wiring into a 12v power socket adapter(cigarette lighter socket)?
I assumed that the centre sprung contact is the positive which should only come alive when the ignition is on. Does this become ACC/ignition line for white?
Earth I can cope with once I've found a suitable metal to metal screw or bolt which just leaves the red.
Do I connect that to the outer flat contacts on the side of the adapter? Otherwise I end up with only one wire(white) running to the centre contact and nothing attached to the outer contacts.

If I am pushing my luck asking all this please tell me.
Cheers
Paul

Gabacho,
thank you.

niko,

that is greatly appreciated. More so because I can see that you are a retailer and I didn't cover myself in glory by sourcing from ebay.
I have never dabbled with car electrics and am feeling very dim here. How would I go about wiring into a 12v power socket adapter(cigarette lighter socket)?
I assumed that the centre sprung contact is the positive which should only come alive when the ignition is on. Does this become ACC/ignition line for white?
Earth I can cope with once I've found a suitable metal to metal screw or bolt which just leaves the red.
Do I connect that to the outer flat contacts on the side of the adapter? Otherwise I end up with only one wire(white) running to the centre contact and nothing attached to the outer contacts.

If I am pushing my luck asking all this please tell me.
Cheers
Paul

If your boot cigarette lighter port is not always on, then you can use it to power on rear camera where you connect white with red wire to centre of the cig.lighter ( positive ) and side spring holders are earth ( negative ). Or you can use similar to below pics. cig.lighter adapter for easy wirining.

02700278_00_grande.jpeg

niko,
Got it. Thanks. The power outlet in the boot only comes on when the ignition is on so your suggestion will work.
Cheers

niko,
Got it. Thanks. The power outlet in the boot only comes on when the ignition is on so your suggestion will work.
Cheers
No problem.

Back