Wiring kit series 1 v series 2

Klr650steve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the original wiring kit compatible with the series 2 622gw. I am looking to replace my existing installed dash cam and hoping that the currently installed wiring kit will work

It should be. Check the output amperage on the label. From memory the v1 is 2A which is easily powerful enough.

Hi,

It depends on which Hard Wire Kit you currently have. It will say on the Hard Wire Kit itself- on the label on the convertor box.
Series 1- DA-206A-HW
Series 2- NBDVRS2HK

The Series 1 Hard Wire Kit is not compatible with the Series 2 Cameras I'm afraid. The Series 2 Hard Wire Kit will work with the Series 1 model Cameras, this is backwards compatible. The Series 1 kit delivers 5V/1.5 amps whereas the Series 2 kit delivers 5V/2amps (required for optional rear camera use).

The Series 2 Hard Wire Kit has improved design and functionality, which includes a different angle and size connector piece. By improving the Series 2 Hard Wire Kit, it allowed us to redesign the mount unit to make it much smaller, which significantly reduced material use and environmental wastage from production. Unfortunately the old 90 degree angle from the Series 1 Hard Wire Kit will not fit into the smaller mount. For a Series 2 Camera I would recommend using the Series 2 Hard Wire Kit.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Am I missing something ?

I'm still using my old series 1 HWK that has a straight connector but the series 2 has the 90° connector ?

My apologies, I meant the original kit. The moulding around the original straight connector is larger than the slimmed-down series 2 connector and is difficult to use with a Series 2 camera. For the power requirement (especially if using a rear camera), we always advise using the correct equipment designed for Series 2, e.g. the series 2 hard wire kit.

Kind regards,
Millie

In my case its not, although it fits the v1 will not power the 320xr, had to buy a V2 kit.

Hi,

It depends on which Hard Wire Kit you currently have. It will say on the Hard Wire Kit itself- on the label on the convertor box.
Series 1- DA-206A-HW
Series 2- NBDVRS2HK

The Series 1 Hard Wire Kit is not compatible with the Series 2 Cameras I'm afraid. The Series 2 Hard Wire Kit will work with the Series 1 model Cameras, this is backwards compatible. The Series 1 kit delivers 5V/1.5 amps whereas the Series 2 kit delivers 5V/2amps (required for optional rear camera use).

The Series 2 Hard Wire Kit has improved design and functionality, which includes a different angle and size connector piece. By improving the Series 2 Hard Wire Kit, it allowed us to redesign the mount unit to make it much smaller, which significantly reduced material use and environmental wastage from production. Unfortunately the old 90 degree angle from the Series 1 Hard Wire Kit will not fit into the smaller mount. For a Series 2 Camera I would recommend using the Series 2 Hard Wire Kit.

Kind regards,
Millie
I know the original question is probably sorted now, but I phoned Nextbase before I bought a refurbished 522GW to replace my 312GW on the existing Series 1 wired in kit. Nextbase told me it would work, but wouldn't power a rear camera as this is why the series 2 wiring is needed.

This has been working perfectly and is fully functional. The plug was a bit of a squeeze but without any tweaking of the outer plastic, I managed to lightly pressure it in.

It's great, because unlike the series 1 , I don't have to keep unplugging the series 2 camera as it has the magnetic holder and the wiring is to the holder not the camera itself.

Hope this helps any further readers hoping to not rewire a series 2 system in if they change to series 2 camera and happy not to add a rear camera.

Back