Wiring two cameras using two hardwire kits

grules

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All,
I have two cameras, front and rear. Both are completely different cameras.
While I am using hardwire kits for both, I've decided to connect one kit to another, basically, the second kit is connected to the first one, using the top fuse plug.
This will save me using two fuse plugs in my fuse box. The fuse plug I choose is 5A Audio line, which is getting power only after the car started.
Are there any concerns using this kind of configuration?

Thanks

the second kit is connected to the first one, using the top fuse plug.
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you have 1 fuse tap plugged into another fuse tap, or just 1 fuse tap with two hardwire kits connected to it?

If you are using a fuse tap, it is normally OK to connect two hardwire kits to the same fuse tap, put the two red cables into the same fuse tap crimp connector, and the same with the yellow cables on a 3 wire hardwire kit. The hardwire kits should not use more than 2A, so a 5A fuse will not blow unless there is a fault, so that is OK. The hardwire kits should be using 5A or better cable, so with the 5A fuse there is no safety risk. If you wanted 4 hardwire kits then you would need to use seperate fuses, maybe add a distribution panel for them, but for 2 there should be no problem.

Of course it does depend on the hardwire kits, if one is constructed using only cheap 2A cable then there is a safety risk with using a 5A fuse.

First the fusebox- it's OK to have several things tapped into one car circuit as long as that circuit has enough capacity for them all plus the car function.

Now the HWK's- the power (BAT) wire will draw up to 2A each, so two of those will total 4A (actually less but a safety margin). For that I'd want to tap into a car circuit with a 15A or higher rating as that should have enough capacity for the higher load plus the car function. The switched wire (ACC) draws almost no current at all so any car circuit of 5A or higher rating will do fine.

One fuse tap (Add-a-Fuse) can be used for two cams on either wire, but since it has to carry both cams you'll need a 3A to 5A fuse for the cam's power (BAT) wires. I'd first try the smaller size, checking for proper cam function as well as seeing if it blows from undersizing. I would not exceed 5A fuse size as that is about the maximum which either HWK wire can safely carry and with cheap HWK's that have small wire this is pushing it a bit.

Ideal would be to also fuse each HWK individually at 3A but I don't think it necessary here. I would feel safe doing as I described above this but in the end it's your decision.

Phil

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I understand correctly
I didnt crimped the wires of two kits. I connected them together using the connector pins.
To make it more clear below is a small drawing of how I wired it. I've changed the Fuse Box location to 10A rating. I this Using 10A would be the safe option. The reason I am using 5A fuse on second kit is just cause I didnt have 10A one to install, but I dont see any issue with that.

1603120685507.png

Looking at your diagram it seems that 'cam 1' is actually not fused except by the car fuse (and possibly not at all if the fuse tap is on the 'hot' side of the car fuse :eek:)

You should use just one fuse tap for power with both cams tied into it's single output, or have two entirely separated fuse taps with no connection between them anywhere.

Phil

Looking at your diagram it seems that 'cam 1' is actually not fused
The Cam1 is fused by the middle 10A fuse ( which is this case located on the second wire kit)
Wire kits have two fuse locations, from what I checked, the bottom fuse is for the actual car dedicated device ( Audio in my case) and the top one for the camera.

In my case,
1 Wire Kit:
Bottom fuse - Car Audio ( starts only after the car ignition)
Top fuse location - I used to connect the 2 HWK.

2 Wire Kit
Bottom fuse - Camera 1 fuse
Top fuse - Camera 2 fuse

Hope that explains.. as for your concern of Hot side, I need to check the directions I've plugged the kits, but I think the consumers ( 2 cameras and car audio) are on the right side.

You should use 5A fuses for the cameras, looks to me like Cam1 is protected by a 10A fuse, which is not good since its wiring is unlikely to be 10A capable. So "Wire kit 2" should have both fuses as 5A, otherwise I think what you have is OK.

I don't like piling "add a fuse" devices up like that, it should be safe, but I would rather use 1 and just crimp the two hardwire kits into the single crimp connector. But if it works and fits OK then leave it as it is, but with 2 5A fuses.

It's not really a concern of which way the fuse tap is oriented- either was round will work safely. The main concern is that you have a fuse between the cams and the car (which you do have). Where I am losing the picture is how the second fuse tap is arranged. Is it in another fuse slot? Is it 'piggy-backed' onto the first fuse tap somehow?

You really need only one fuse tap; there is no benefit to 'piggy-backing them and it's not needed to protect the car. Just tie both cams into the single output wire from one fuse tap, using a 5A fuse for the cam side, and all will be safe and well.

Phil

Thanks guys!
I agree, I need to have two 5A fuses for both cams!
Yeah, just simple connection (crimping) both kits together and then using only ONE connector on the Fuse Box will be definitely a simpler solution :)
Fuse taps are basically connected to each other in my case
Look at the attached picture. One connected to another. 2 kits.jpg

Back