Wish List for the Xiaomi Yi 2.0

emyhodut

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Don't know if somebody from the Xiaomi Staff actually watches us, but here's my perfect action cam:
  • 1" sensor from Sony, max 8MP (for 4k) or 2MP (for fullHD) for crazy low light gathering
  • 160 degrees field of view lens, rectilinear, with f1.8, detachable from exterior, plus some other lenses to go with it, 180, 150, 90 degrees, just to have options out there
  • 4k (for the 8MP sensor) or fullHD with full manual control over the exposure, ISO and white balance
  • a decent enough screen on the back, 2.5" or bigger
  • HDMI out
  • a separate battery that can be attached for longer shooting times (timelapse mode or video)
Xiaomi, if you do this one, and keep a competitive price (it's not gonna be 58 euros like it's now, but it's a 1" sensor for God's sake), I am positive that you'll gain almost all the market in this segment.

Any thoughts or features you would like to be added?

...gyro
...scene modes: potrait, landscape...
...AEtable for dashcam using also turns with rotating adjustment in app
...highest stable bitrate in highquality mode
...audio out
...better lens adjustment and better IR filter
...more colours
...real 4k not interpolated
... Powerfull battery
... Lens angle adjustment by user
...whitebalance, exposure, noise, iso, focus, colour correction
... more accessiores
That were great, i hope some points could be considered.
It is agreat cam until now, than with this features it will kill the gopro!

some really good points :). For me, it would've been awesome if they could implement xavc codec with selectable bitrate right from the menu

A nice list of features! Personally I'm not too fussed about having a screen, but I would like to see the ability to record in log, similar to protune.

I'm not really interested in having screen, just some basic one to be able change options without using wifi and smartphone.
Whithout going into details I wish to see let's say 3 different xiaomi models, starting from low price for comparable to current or slightly improved model, then a bit higher price for eg. back screen option or 4k (who uses it anyway) for more demanding users.
Starting recording after connecting to power source (dashcam) is a must.

The reason the yi is popular is because it's 85% of a gopro and 1/4 or 1/5 the price. Keeping that in mind...
1" sensors would be great, but impractical for a super compact action cam. They're huge compared to the B (1/2.4") in there now. Lens requirements would go up, too. I'd love to see it, but that's more like an SLR or actual video camera thing.

Nice to have:
4k/[24, 30, 48, and 60fps], 1080p/[24-120fps], 720p/[60-480fps] modes.
Space the usb and hdmi ports a bit further apart so they can be used at the same time.
Two angles in lens choices.
Bit rate choices built in.
Bigger battery
usb 3.0

Love to have:
Genlock ability (or hackability).
Audio in every mode.
USB command capability
Larger pixel pitch sensor (better low light perf).

edited to add...as mentioned elsewhere: It'd be awesome to see someone make a 4K-only action cam. Downscale after download if you need 1080p or whatnot. Just focus all the hardware on one resolution instead.

The "new" yi that's been making the rounds is more of a dashcam model. If anything I'd guess they're going to make two lines of cameras, the action model and a dashcam line.

Last edited:
Also nice suggestion for other action cam manufacturer.
Thank you.

I know that with a 1" sensor the lens should be bigger, but not by much, look at the current Sony Nex line, the sensor is super35 yet they have some really really small lenses to cover that large sensor. There is a considerable gain in the low light department, this is why I said I would like a 1" in a small as it can be format, and yet for a price that doesn't break the bank like the Sony RX100 mk4 which is an amazing camera, but with a price tag to follow

Also nice suggestion for other action cam manufacturer.
Thank you.
Of course Gitup, this is something usesrs would like, it's always better for a manufecturer to do what peaople would buy, or want :) I for one will wait and see what comes up

Of course Gitup, this is something usesrs would like, it's always better for a manufecturer to do what peaople would buy, or want :) I for one will wait and see what comes up
I just checked Sony Sensor roadmap, it seems the 1 inch sensor support 20MP, seems the 1/2.3 inch sensor is more popular for action cams.

I know, but the answer is if it can be fitted into a similar design, could be a bit larger to fit the new sensor. I think that the 1/2.3 sensor can't be forced too much in low light, it has it's limits when it comes to low light. The 1 inch sensor it's way more sensitive (just check the quality of low light shots with the Sony RX10) and that would be awesome for that. The Xiaomi Yi dashcam that is on preorder now, has a sensor that is lower resolution, and because of that, the low light gathering on the sensor is greater.

I know that with a 1" sensor the lens should be bigger, but not by much, look at the current Sony Nex line, the sensor is super35...

For comparison purposes, sample what prices are between 1" and 1/3" or 1/2" for c/cs-mount lenses. It's not insignificant. Then there's the issue of weight. Again, I agree it'd be great, but it's something that's not going to be achieved in a tiny action camera size with a price that's <$200 or it'd have been done by now.

If you're after better low-light performance, start discouraging the higher megapixel silliness and encourage larger pixels. This would be a great way for a vendor to go...

Also, I want an anamorphic lens on the next version.

Last edited:
Hey mates , for me, yet I would have to function in the Macro recording video , a great thing because it deals with filming just insects , small animals like snails , butterflies , etc :) , of course, only in the 3K or 4K resolution in good quality .

Hey mates , for me, yet I would have to function in the Macro recording video , a great thing because it deals with filming just insects , small animals like snails , butterflies , etc :) , of course, only in the 3K or 4K resolution in good quality .
If you want to record macros simply turn lens in required direction. Normally you do it to make focus on distant objects but you can also do i for very close objects.
And I couldn't care less about 3k or 4k vids.

It would be great to have waterproof remote with indication when recording is running/ when stopped.
When camera is mounted on helmet it is impossible to see if it is recording.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Yi 4K Action Camera 7
Back