With a Hybrid Engine

S2000CR

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been looking into Korean cameras at the advice of Mitz and I am still unbelievably lost as to what to buy. I have just realized a potential issue on top of what I'm dealing with so...help?

What I'm dealing with:
  • I drive hybrid. My car turns off intermittently while I'm stopped at lights.
What is necessary:
  • A camera that can keep recording during this time since I've been involved with a hit and run recently while at a light.
  • A camera that can record in parking mode since I was involved with yet another hit and run while parked. It doesn't matter how this done (time lapse, etc.).
    • My one issue is that I have a tiny battery that barely powers on my radio and I am afraid of draining it with a camera. I am open to using a voltage cut off unit that's not integrated into the camera.
What I'd like but isn't necessary:
  • Singular cameras per front and back. I would like to avoid dual cameras if possible.
  • Something that's easy to set up in terms of angle.
If the camera is amazing, I would be open to spending some money on it. I've been considering Thinkware770 but the dual camera really is a deterrent for me.

All my vehicles are Toyota hybrids and none of them power down the camera when the gasoline engine turns off. I suspect that as the 12v begins to die, the camera will begin powering down (or leaving me stranded, lol) which will let me know when I need to get a new one.

Other hybrid systems may operate differently or may use a lower quality 12v battery which will cause you to run into issues. Toyota uses top of the line AGM batteries in all their hybrids.

I too drive a Toyota Hybrid with stop/start feature. My 2 Mobius (Front, back) are hard wired to cigarette outlet wires via stepped down transformers. Cameras continues to record when engine stops as does the radio. Engine stop/start have nothing to do with 12 volt DC supply.

Back