With the a129 duo problems, would you buy it again or something else?

AceM

Reaction score
Country
United States
On most sites the a129 is recommended as the best dual cam option with parking modes, obviously no product is perfect and some will have dead units, bad wiring etc;

Right now it seems the main issues are parking mode, missing recordings and beeps which viofo has not explained the meaning of

I was going to get the 119 v3 but wanted the dual cameras so i have been researching on the 129

On most sites the a129 is recommended as the best dual cam option with parking modes, obviously no product is perfect and some will have dead units, bad wiring etc;

Right now it seems the main issues are parking mode, missing recordings and beeps which viofo has not explained the meaning of

I was going to get the 119 v3 but wanted the dual cameras so i have been researching on the 129

First camera I bought had issues. Replaced it and #2 and #3 (another vehicle) work flawlessly. I paired the camera with a Sandisk A2 Extreme 256GB. No problems.

Only MAJOR issue is the doubling of frames, which Viofo has failed to address.

FYI: Most freezing issues, or camera not working, are related to user error. Freezing is often associated with an improper sd card. Camera not functioning properly from record to park mode could very well be improper hardwiring. People piggy backing systems tied to other components and ones that are poor choices.

But like all electronics, there will always be some duds.

I noticed your recent post where current owners are being abandoned as they focus on the 129 pro to get new customers, and it seems many share that view

I noticed your recent post where current owners are being abandoned as they focus on the 129 pro to get new customers,
Don't worry, Viofo doesn't abandon older cameras for years, I think on the buffered parking mode issue they are being held up by Novatek at present rather than by the new cameras.

The beeping is generally a problem with a memory card or bad connection to the rear camera, most people don't have these issues. The buffered parking mode issue, well it still records perfectly well, it is just an issue of the g-sensor locking files, and it works fine in low bitrate parking mode.
and it seems many share that view
Well it seems like only a fairly small group of people who what a more sensitive g-sensor, specifically for event buffered parking mode. Everybody else seems quite happy.

I have a 64GB Branded Viofo Card, I have disconnected the rear camera but still have issues (although there is probably an issue with rear camera cable at least I think)
I have not piggybacked off other circuits (I used points on the fuse box that didn't have fuses in, I tested them)

I am hoping a replacement solves the issues, and that most people have had no issues :)

What better dual camera setup is there?

I have a 64GB Branded Viofo Card, I have disconnected the rear camera but still have issues (although there is probably an issue with rear camera cable at least I think)
I have not piggybacked off other circuits (I used points on the fuse box that didn't have fuses in, I tested them)

I am hoping a replacement solves the issues, and that most people have had no issues :)
Is your replacement camera working OK?

What better dual camera setup is there?

For the same money, none. For more money? The A129 Pro and the SG9663DC. For a lot more money? Maybe better features but not the video with Blackvue and Thinkware cams. There's a very small percentage of people who are dissatisfied with their A129 as far as I can tell, but it seems they're almost all still taking advantage of the high vid quality in using them so perhaps the cam is not really that bad after all ;)

Phil

Is your replacement camera working OK?

So far I think so. The replacement arrived yesterday so last night I hooked it all up on the floor.
I then flashed fw 1.9, done a reset via the pin, then a reset through the menu, then I formatted the card.
Then this afternoon I mounted it in the car, for the rear camera cable I just sticky taped it up for the moment.

At one point I accidently hit the warning triangle button and then after that it was doing 2 beeps (I think it was trying to tell me it saved something)
I went through all the settings and aligned the cameras and formatted the card again for good measure.

I found it wouldn't stay in parking mode and would just switch off. I put a volt meter on my battery and it was only reading 12.0v so that explains that. (hard wire kit set at 12.4v)
I think I will charge the car battery, I probably ran it down a bit as I had the radio on and my phone charging. It is only 2-1/2 years old so I think the voltage should normally be higher.

I am visiting my brother tommorow so it will get a bit of a road test

For the same money, none. For more money? The A129 Pro and the SG9663DC. For a lot more money? Maybe better features but not the video with Blackvue and Thinkware cams. There's a very small percentage of people who are dissatisfied with their A129 as far as I can tell, but it seems they're almost all still taking advantage of the high vid quality in using them so perhaps the cam is not really that bad after all ;)

Phil

There are the mini 0906 clones. I have one but I've never run it long term as I got the a129 shortly after, so not sure about reliability.
Also no wifi or buffered parking mode. I think the latest firmware/s do low bitrate parking mode though.

Blackvue seem great but pricey! You probably get your moneys worth though.

Blackvue has great build quality and features, but the vids aren't as good. To me anyway, a dashcam is mostly about video recording so that's my most important criteria after reliability. You decide if Blackvue or Thinkware is worth it for yourself, but you should compare raw vids in all lighting situations before you decide; the difference is quite noticeable especially at night.

The Mini 0906 was pretty good at the start, but it seems quality fell over time as reliability problems became more frequently reported. When there were almost no 2-channel cams on the market it was a viable choice since there was little else, but that situation has changed- there are many better choices now. Pass on the 0906 :rolleyes:

When I got into the game about 5 years ago there were no good and also cheap 2-channel cams, and that remains the case. What has changed is that now you can get much better resolutions, bitrates, and sensors so you're getting more for your money than ever before with the mid-level and up priced 2-channel cams. Even Blackvue and Thinkware use off-the-shelf processors because that's how things are done with dashcams, so now it's really all about development of the available hardware which boils down to effort and software engineers getting all they can out of what they've got to work with :geek: 2-channel cams have become a highly competitive market segment which is good for us. The best vids will still come from single channel cams since the whole processor serves only one cam un-shared, and as long as dashcams are being built the same way that will continue to hold true, but today's really good 2-channel cams have matured enough to not need any excuses anymore.

Phil

So far I think so. The replacement arrived yesterday so last night I hooked it all up on the floor.
I then flashed fw 1.9, done a reset via the pin, then a reset through the menu, then I formatted the card.
Then this afternoon I mounted it in the car, for the rear camera cable I just sticky taped it up for the moment.

At one point I accidently hit the warning triangle button and then after that it was doing 2 beeps (I think it was trying to tell me it saved something)
I went through all the settings and aligned the cameras and formatted the card again for good measure.

I found it wouldn't stay in parking mode and would just switch off. I put a volt meter on my battery and it was only reading 12.0v so that explains that. (hard wire kit set at 12.4v)
I think I will charge the car battery, I probably ran it down a bit as I had the radio on and my phone charging. It is only 2-1/2 years old so I think the voltage should normally be higher.

I am visiting my brother tommorow so it will get a bit of a road test

I own two A129 Duos and they work flawlessly. I did have one dud that I swapped out. But the replacement and the 2nd Cam I ordered have no issues. Run them with a 128 & 256GB A2 Extreme.

FYI: Your battery at 12V is really low. 12.6 = 100% 12.4 - 75% 12.2 = 50% and 12.0 = 25%. Time to get a new car battery. I honestly wouldn't recommend lowering your voltage to 12.0 or you might come out to find your car won't start one day.

Triangle is intended to mark a clip for save. It'll beep a few times then resume recording.

I own two A129 Duos and they work flawlessly. I did have one dud that I swapped out. But the replacement and the 2nd Cam I ordered have no issues. Run them with a 128 & 256GB A2 Extreme.

FYI: Your battery at 12V is really low. 12.6 = 100% 12.4 - 75% 12.2 = 50% and 12.0 = 25%. Time to get a new car battery. I honestly wouldn't recommend lowering your voltage to 12.0 or you might come out to find your car won't start one day.

Triangle is intended to mark a clip for save. It'll beep a few times then resume recording.

Yes, I think I will charge it up first just to see if it is holding charge or see if something has run the battery down low. I am suprised it starts at 12.0v - I seen lot's of cars struggle at that voltage.

Dashcam is still working fine so far.

I own two A129 Duos and they work flawlessly. I did have one dud that I swapped out. But the replacement and the 2nd Cam I ordered have no issues. Run them with a 128 & 256GB A2 Extreme

Hey @HonestReview , just curious...I'm looking at getting a 256GB card for my A129 Duo as I'm finding the 128GB isn't large enough for a 1080p dual channel. How are you finding the A2 Extreme? Is that the Sandisk A2 Extreme Pro you are referring to? Apparently some folks are saying a 256GB card may make the dash cam heat up more due to it's size...have you had any issues like that? Would be really great to get your opinion due to your experience with this card

Hey @HonestReview , just curious...I'm looking at getting a 256GB card for my A129 Duo as I'm finding the 128GB isn't large enough for a 1080p dual channel. How are you finding the A2 Extreme? Is that the Sandisk A2 Extreme Pro you are referring to? Apparently some folks are saying a 256GB card may make the dash cam heat up more due to it's size...have you had any issues like that? Would be really great to get your opinion due to your experience with this card

The A2 128 & 256GB Extreme work flawlessly. I have yet to have any issues related to this card what so ever. I run 256GB in my vehicle and 128GB in a family members car. 100% reliable through and through.

The A2 128 & 256GB Extreme work flawlessly. I have yet to have any issues related to this card what so ever. I run 256GB in my vehicle and 128GB in a family members car. 100% reliable through and through.

Thank you for getting back to me @HonestReview , that is very encouraging! I was looking at Samsung's new high endurance cards but they don't have it in 256GB. I've bought the Sandisk A1 cards for my two Thinkware F770 dash cams in mum's and my partner's cars and they work flawlessly in those cameras, but they will be too slow in the A129. You just gave me the courage to go buy the Sandisk A2 Extreme Pro. Cheers mate!

I was looking at Samsung's new high endurance cards but they don't have it in 256GB.
Note that a card twice the size will have twice the life, if the individual memory cells have the same endurance, so a non-endurance 256 will probably have about the same lifespan as an endurance 128GB.

Note that a card twice the size will have twice the life, if the individual memory cells have the same endurance, so a non-endurance 256 will probably have about the same lifespan as an endurance 128GB.

Thanks @Nigel , as far as I can see the Sandisk A2 Extreme Pro is a high endurance card

the SanDisk High Endurance cards are labeled as such, the A2 is a different series, still good cards but not high endurance

Oh ok! I just did a search and this came up. So these are the high endurance cards I should be getting then...

Back