Woman struggling with what to buy

maeberly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone
Can someone please help. I've been thinking about buying a dash cam/action cam for more than a year. I like to research my purchases before I buy and I've also waited for the technology to improve. I'm ready now to buy cameras for my Tacoma and Fit.

I will probably buy a "loaded" cam for the front and a separate for the rear, for each vehicle. I would like to get the most for my money but am willing to spend for the right cameras.

It's confusing to read all of the reviews and I'm not the most tech-savy person. I would like cameras with the following:

1. Reliability and support
2. WIFI
3. Cloud storage capability (not a deal breaker)
4. GPS
5. G-sensor
6. Buffered Parking Mode
7. Excellent resolution (1440p, 30fps?)
8. Hardwire to truck/car power supply
9. Apps Android and IOS
10. LDWS and FCWS

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Welcome to forum!
What is your budget?

Thanks for your quick reply.
I will spend as much as I need to. I'm not rich but I look around at the way people are driving and I believe I need the protection of cameras. I tend to drive the speed limit and sometimes it get scarey on the highways.

2. WIFI

4. GPS
5. G-sensor
6. Buffered Parking Mode
9. Apps Android and IOS
10. LDWS and FCWS

there are a few model has red features but they dont have blue feature.
So: you have to remove one of these. :)

What about the features that you left black?
I'd compromise on the resolution if the cameras had most of the other features.

What about the features that you left black?
I'd compromise on the resolution if the cameras had most of the other features.
other features are common features, many cam has them.
If your car has wifi sourse or your parking lot has wifi then cloud funtion will be usefull. Otherwise, it's useless.
If you dont mind image quality's average, then you may choice dr650 - with clound funtion.

Welcome yo DCT :)

I look at each factor as eliminating cams which don't have that feature to narrow down the choices. Two things here do that the most: Parking Mode and Wifi. Starting there while keeping reliability in mind gives you very few choices as most cam's don't have that :( Of the cams which fit that group, each has some issues such as best resolution being 1080P30FPS, too-short buffering files, or scarce firmware updates. Cloud function requires an internet connection, either you provide that or you get on someone else's when you're parked. It's pretty much useless unless you provide your own connection or always have access wherever you park.

That covers the big hurdles- are you still sure that these are must-have features? If so, then the BlackVue DR650 is probably best. Drop the parking mode and/or wifi requirements and there's a lot more good cams to choose from. Your choice :cool:

Phil

Thanks for the replies.

If I dropped the parking mode and Wifi Phil, what would you suggest?

2. WIFI
4. GPS
5. G-sensor
6. Buffered Parking Mode
9. Apps Android and IOS
10. LDWS and FCWS

for most of the features you're after you're really looking at Thinkware or Blackvue, they may not offer the performance you expect though

4. GPS
5. G-sensor
6. Buffered Parking Mode
9. Apps Android and IOS

OK, this is better. About LDWS and FCWS, that is also pretty much another gimmick which doesn't work well in dashcams so I'll overlook that too. And now you have more cams and prices to choose from :) As Jokin mentions above, your best bet is probably Blackvue, the DR650 ticks many boxes but it's main issue is that it had a low FPS rating and a low bitrate which adversely affects image quality, The Thinkware F50 is another one you might like (not sure it has phone apps) :( That doesn't necessarily make these a bad choice, but you can get better images though that will mean losing the parking mode. Look at videos posted by these cams and decide if the the images are good enough for you. These 2 brands are some of what is considered to be the best for dashcams in terms of quality and features plus they are generally very reliable. That comes with a higher cost but you don't get what you don't pat for so you have to decide if they are worth that.

Should you decide that you can do with less features, the Street Guardian SG9665GC is a more basic cam with excellence in every thing it does. The JooVuu X may also appeal to you with it's phone control app. It's all going to be a compromise no matter the choice- no one cam does everything excellently yet and I honestly doubt that situation will ever change.

Phil

Most cameras today seem to have LDWS and FCWS, but sawmaster are right, its just a gimmick in most dashcams.

If you value customer care and buyer safety then Street Guardian are the outright best brand, and the cameras they make are also working just fine.
Ask a question in here about that brand, and you will have a official reply in minutes, same goes for unofficial replies from the many users.

The Vifo A119S also seem popular at the moment, it did have some teething problems with camera vibrating on mount, but it are pretty easy to fix and as i recall it have also been fixed with the latest batch of cameras.

That camera also have its own sub forum you can investigate.

Both SG and vifo have American sellers, so you can buy locally and have local support and warranty in case you need it.
Buying overseas can be a pain in the,,,,,, Behind.

...About LDWS and FCWS, that is also pretty much another gimmick which doesn't work well in dashcams...
True. When integrated with the vehicle they are marginally effective, when implemented as a 'stand alone' solution they are toys at best.

Most cameras today seem to have LDWS and FCWS, but sawmaster are right, its just a gimmick in most dashcams.

If you value customer care and buyer safety then Street Guardian are the outright best brand, and the cameras they make are also working just fine.
Ask a question in here about that brand, and you will have a official reply in minutes, same goes for unofficial replies from the many users.
+1

Thank you for the information. I'll research these cams. It's good to know I can come back to this forum with questions.

Sorry if it's confusing but with so many different cams, their features, and the user's varying needs it's tough to recommend one specific cam as 'best'.

The perfect dashcam had never been built and probably never will be. If it was built it would probably cost $1000, which almost nobody would spend for a dashcam :rolleyes:

Phil

Sorry if it's confusing but with so many different cams, their features, and the user's varying needs it's tough to recommend one specific cam as 'best'.

The perfect dashcam had never been built and probably never will be. If it was built it would probably cost $1000, which almost nobody would spend for a dashcam :rolleyes:

Phil

even if it was built what's perfect for one person may be of no interest to the next person, there's no one size fits all and I doubt there ever will be, choice is a good thing though

Thank you for the information. I'll have time to research more this weekend.

Personally I would go thinkware F770, that is why I bought one, the blackvue dr650 is very nearly as good, better in some areas so maybe view some filming on youtube, there are good and not so good points about both these cams but either one is an ace choice for most, happy researching, drive safe.

Thank you Tabetha
I've got research to do!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What Should I Buy? 16
Back