Won't turn on in the morning

acentur

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two Mini 0906's installed in different vehicles, both parked outside in southern California. In one car I leave the windows cracked, in the other I do not. Suffice it to say, it doesn't get below 50 degrees these days at night, let alone 70.

Neither dashcam will power up when the cars turn on if it's in the morning. Afternoon or evening: no problem. But mornings get not even a peep out of them.

I thought it was a parking guard problem, so I swapped the leads (yellow and red) to ensure the dashcams only turn on when the engine is running.
Then I also turned the voltage check to the lowest number to ensure it wasn't a low-battery issue.

And still, no power if it's before 11am. I park it outside in the 100+ heat, come out for lunch and it works. (I mean, it overheats sometimes, but at least it turns on) I drive home and it powers on immediately. But the next morning? Nothing, the entire 40-minute drive in to work.

I even let it sit for 5 minutes after arriving once, and still nothing. But I let it sit out in the sun for a few hours, and miraculously it works like there was never anything wrong.

Any ideas?

if you have the cig charger try using that first thing in the morning, if the problem goes away it's the power supply, if it remains it's the camera

if you have the cig charger try using that first thing in the morning, if the problem goes away it's the power supply, if it remains it's the camera
Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if this could be a time-zone issue or something...

have you noticed the engine starter works hard longer at morning for more than 2 seconds?
and when it is warm at noon or afternoon, the engine can be ignited faster?

have you noticed the engine starter works hard longer at morning for more than 2 seconds?
and when it is warm at noon or afternoon, the engine can be ignited faster?
Nope, no starting issues or differences at all. The battery doesn't act like it's drained.
This morning the hardwire wouldn't work, but the camera powered right up when I plugged it into the cigarette adapter.
Today at noon, the camera booted right up when hardwired... we will see what a few days of being disconnected overnight does.

my point is, maybe your accumulator is little old, the voltage changed a lot while long parking and big temperature affected

I'm having the same issue. I have the 3-wire hardware kit. It does time lapse- in most instances (in auto switch mode). I suspect it may be relate to low voltage cutoff which I have set to 12.4. I'm changing to 12.2 as an experiment. These inexpensive 3-wire kits may not be as accurate as we might hope they should be. I'll check back in 3-5 day time-frame with results.

Didn't need 3 to 5 days. Switching to 12.2 v had no effect. Time lapse was enabled & functioning. When I started the car within 1 to 2 minutes the camera shut down & within another 1-2 minutes it turned on again. This sequence repeated for 5+ minutes until it started recording as expected. This unusual behavior should be presented to the engineers at mini. I will look for an email address to present these findings in hopes a firmware update might fix this.

Back