Would a dedicated WiFi-Hotspot device improve connection issues?

Evenstar

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Would a dedicated 4G WiFi-Hotspot device (such as Netgear Nighthawk M1) improve connection issues (with DR900S, Cloud, iPhone)? My son, who has a Blackvue clone, says that when his dashcam is connected to wifi, he is unable to send/receive phone calls, SMS messages, etc) without lots of "fiddling".
Your input would be appreciated.
Regards,
Evenstar

maybe, a lot of the hotspot devices go to sleep or into a low power state when there's no active data session, the idea is to save power and data, phones and PC's can generally wake them out of this state as needed, cameras not so much

you'd need to check how that hotspot device behaves to know if it is suitable of not

a lot of phones will lose data connectivity when connected to the cameras wifi, your son's results are quite common in this respect

Improve connection over what? What are you connecting to currently that is giving you issues?
Tough to say without that info, but a hotspot would probably help... If you're having range issues then the hotspot being in your vehicle will take care of that, most likely.

Like Jokiin mentioned, hotspots can be finicky when it comes to going to sleep.
Though I do believe someone else mentioned the Nighthawk worked for them, might wanna do a quick search on that and reach out to them to see what their experience is.
Keep in mind, connection issues on BlackVue seem to be known and currently being worked on from the sounds of it.
You might want to push through and wait for the firmware update before you invest in something else.
Unless you know it'll be a better solution either way.

What kind of phone is your son using?
iPhone as well?
Is his phone connecting to the dashcams wi-fi?
Or is the dashcam connecting to the phone's hotspot?

It makes sense that if the phone is connecting to the cameras wi-fi (for app use/settings/viewing the feed/etc.) he wouldn't have any internet.
Since the phone thinks it's getting internet from a camera that doesn't give off that kind of connection.
He should still get calls either way though. If he's using an iPhone, an SMS that is sent to other iPhones - is called iMessage and ISN'T an SMS, it uses data to send (so if the messages are all blue, you know it's an iMessage.)
If the messages are green, then it's a text message/SMS which should work fine, just like the phone calls.

Android is more of the same, but it usually uses regular SMS over some built-in messaging platform.
Though a lot of people use various different messaging apps that use data to send and receive.

I have not tried this personally yet, but there is a setting on the phone that if your wi-fi isn't great your phone will auto switch between wi-fi and cellular.
On iPhones it's called Wi-Fi assist, which is located in Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Assist
Android manufacturers name this feature whatever they choose, so harder to tell you what it's called without the brand of the phone.

Another fix is to just turn off the wi-fi on the dashcam, probably not actually using it most of the time anyway.

Though you might not want to tell your son this info since it's probably better that he doesn't get notifications as much when driving! :D

Well, I don't actually have it installed yet so I don't even know if connection issues will be a problem. Scheduled installation is a week from today. I'm just doing a bit of homework to find workarounds for particular issues if they arise. I don't even know if there will be DAB interference, but Blackvue UK does sell DAB Noise Suppressor (https://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.ph...essories/dab-noise-suppressor-detail?Itemid=0. The particular dedicated WiFi-Hotspot device (if required) I was considering is a (TELSTRA 4GX WIFI PRO) HUAWEI E5787, but TELSTRA also supports the Nighthawk. From what I gather, the HUAWEI does have a sleep mode but since there isn't any online manual available, I don't know if there is option to over-ride it. Yes, my son also has an iPhone (mine is iPhone 6, his is iPhone 8). I'm familiar with Wi-Fi Assist but I haven't had a need for it. I don't know how my son has his phone connected and am unwilling to accept a 45 minute answer to a Yes or No question. :eek: I know that iPhones name SMS iMessage, but I thought SMS would be more generic and therefore attract wider feedback. After all is said and done, DashOto, it comes pretty close to answering all the questions I posed. Thank you very much. (y) And jokiin, your answer was also very helpful. (y)

Ah, haha. Gotcha.

The fact that neither Telstra or Huawei have a proper manual for the E5787 on their page infuriates me. Some dinky manual on Telstra, but it didn't specify it was for the Huawei E5787.
Not to mention it wasn't very detailed either.
Huawei's info on their website for this device is a joke.

I used to deal with Huawei Android devices, so my opinion of them is a bit biased.
I wouldn't recommend them for anything, personally.
I will say, my experience has only been with their cheaper line of Android phones and their 4G router.

I'd lean towards the Netgear, but depending on price, Telstra inventory convenience, and if you find out about the sleep options - I'm sure the Huawei will function the same as the Netgear.

Not sure how old your son is, but there's a good chance if you just throw your computer at him... He'll pick up the info.

Either way, glad to help.
Good luck with your install!

Not that it really matters... but I'm bored so :smuggrin:
I do want to clarify that iPhone doesn't call an SMS, an iMessage.
It calls regular messages SMS/Text Message (SMS seems to be more common outside of North America)
It's just messages from iOS to iOS devices that are called iMessage and they go through an Apple server (read: use your data/wi-fi to send) instead of whichever telecom provider you're with.

Back