Would like to get a consensus on High Endurance vs standard card users

Are you using High Endurance card on your dashcam? Also, it'd be great to know why.

• Total voters

JagMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a couple of Viofo A119S dashcams for about 2 years now. Before I decided to buy my SD cards, I searched the net on what was best to use. I decided to go w/ high endurance cards (currently using Sandisk and Silicon Power 64gb cards). These were the factors that made me decide:

1) To me, my dashcam is a critical application. I wanted to minimize potential SD card issues as much as possible.
2) Dashcam blogs saying it's more reliable to use high endurance cards.
3) Actual dashcam users who've tried both high endurance vs standard cards. The majority of which had better results/lower amount of issues w/ high endurance cards.
4) Manufacturers voiding warranties on their standard cards if used on dashcams. Surely, there must be a reason why. Legit or marketing hype? Whatever the case, I don't want to have to deal w/ warranty claims.
5) Price difference is reasonable considering #1 thru 4.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with good quality cards in my dashcams personally.

That being said, I have recently considered going to high endurance on the ones I can use it on. I don't believe there is a 128GB HD card fast enough for the DR900S 4K write requirements right now, however.

I also always carry a spare memory card or two in my glovebox to cover me from failures and/or to save a card that may have an event I want to protect/save.

Used to be the case at least with U1 cards. Now there's the Samsung Pro Endurance U1. 64gb went on sale at Amazon recently for $20.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

I have made RMA on several cheap U1 cards, but i am not sure if brands knew much about dashcam use then, this have been in both local stores and via a EU Amazon.
Buy yeah, most brands say dashcam void warranty on their regular cards.

All cards i have had die surprising fast on me have all been expensive U3 cards, and that's pretty much any U3 card i have ever owned ( PNY - Trancend - Kingston )
The regular cheapo U1 cards i mainly use tend to work better, and longer before i had any problems with those.... But its just my luck, and unusual i would say.
Trancend - Toshiba - Samsung and Kingston have all been good to me, but i have had several Kingston die on me and RMA them, but at one time it was also the only brands i had, so im not worried about those.

I've not had or needed 'high endurance' cards, and that seems to be the common consensus with dashcams. In fact, several of my cards have seen lifetimes well past the expected cycle numbers the manufacturer's quoted and still work flawlessly. But they might be worth their extra cost in a high-bitrate application (which I don't have happening here).

There are some folks who will tell you these are a must-have, almost always basing that on technical data, but what I do (and recommend for others) is to see what people have experienced in real life with your cam and card because that's what you really need to consider. Real-world experience trumps all the technical data in the world;) And when someone's beliefs are clearly in error, I always remember that when I hear from them again- the world is full of people who aren't as smart as they want you to think they are :rolleyes:

Phil

Back