Wow - Been a little busy today - Hardwired the rear cam

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
Wow , been a little busy today !
Went for a nice walk this morning , + shopping .
Came home and wrote a product review ( http://old4570.com/stuff/irx4plus.html )
Then had lunch :
In the afternoon I had to chase some power for my rear cam ( sick and tired of running from the sig lighter ) ..
The only power available was when the lights were on ..
Oh well , such is life . Guess I will have to run parking lights to power the rear cam .
Then I had to make a wiring harness ..
Cam didn't want to run .. ( Aint it the way )
First thing I thought of was dodgy USB cable ( yep ) ..
Threw it in the rubbish bin , who wants dodgy USB cables about .
So looks like the rear cam is working .. ( My now old G1Wc )
Next I will put the Viofo A118c on the back window ... Maybe with GPS ?
Just came back from my evening walk , and might be time to watch a movie ...

Yeah power in the back are a pain, so i put a sig extender back there with 3 sockets to plug into and it even have a single 2A USB port too.

4183pNUVHmL._SY300_.jpg

+ 12 V come from a 30 A fuse in the box in the front, GND i tapped into one of the bolts holding the rear seat in place.
Installed in 15 - 20 minutes that's doable now both in hot Australia or Freezing old Denmark.
But now i can do just about anything in the boot of my little car that need 12 volts or USB power.

Last edited:
I am so over the sig lighter solution ...
My sig lighter is inside the center console under the arm rest .
Every time I reach for tissues or lose change , I jingle the SIG adapter .
So the sig solution is just a PITA in my car .. ( And I have put up with it for over a year so the hardwire solution was way over due )
Hopefully the back window is a fix for now .. Still need to put the A118c in the back window ...

I would love to steal power from the sig lighter , but the location is so out of the way I can't get to the + - terminals to install a hardwire kit . ( It would be an excellent source of power )

My default cig lighter are free too, i have all the power 12 V or USB i need in my glove box, and off course the sockets in the rear too.

The 12V in my glove box are actually spliced into the 12 V ciggy lighter of the center console, but mine are fairly easy to get at so that wire tap was made long ago.
The USB outlets in the glove boz are powered with piggy back fuse on a 10 A fuse, the rear grid as i said piggyback on a 30 A fuse.
The 12 V spliced into the original ciggy wires in the console have a inline 10 A fuse.

Only power i have in the center console if you can call that plastic shroud that are the 2 switches for the hemoid grill ( heated seats ) located just in front of the hole for the parking brake

Ok , works well !
So two cams out the back now .. G1Wc and my Viofo A118c ( hmmm - two cam goodness )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jokiin Hardwiring and Batteries 31
Back