WR1 Failure

Wr1Camman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if this has to do with the latest firmware update or not but it is the second time it has happened.

I am in the FN cam and have stopped recording to change option settings. The WR1 is beeping and the red led is flashing. After two minutes the beeping stops. I look at the WR1 and the red led is off and the green led is solid. The connection with the FN cam app is lost and I cannot reconnect ubtil rebooting the WR1.

Why would you not make a hardwired counter timer circuit to beep unless the CPU writes to it at specific intervals to to reset it? That way if the CPU freezes you will hear beeping to notify you of a problem.

When enter settings through FN app I always have beeping sound but not when i enter through the Viofo app although both apps are pretty much useless. Forgot to say I am not running the latest firmware version in my WR 1.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Powered up the camera today. Solid red light. No boot up tones. Green Led blacked out. Can't connect with wifi. No tones telling me it wasn't recording
Powered down and red led took 11 seconds to go out.

Rebooted and it made boot up tones. Green led flashed for a few seconds than went out. Red led solid . Can't connect to wifi. No tones telling me it wasn't recording. Powered down and again it took 11 seconds for red to go out (usually it us 3).

Pulled SD card and connected to my computer with an SD card reader. It shows two files for these two boot ups. When I click on them I get the error "Windows Media Player cannot play the file". Older files on SD card play fine.

This is using using a Transcend High Endurance 32 GB micro SD card.

Tried another micro SD card. Camera boots up, red and green leds flash beeping indicating not recording. Connected to FN app which shows camera is recording but it isn't. Tried formating card and go "Camera is busy" error.

This dash cam is complete unreliable garbage.

Out of 30 day return period

I will be posting a 1 star review on Amazon to warn others,

Last edited:
I feel sorry for your bad expirience with WR 1. I hadnt such issues like you with my WR 1 unit.

30 day return period? There should be a warranty involved lasting longer than that, and a good seller should assist you in getting service with the warranty. Where did you buy it?

I have to check mine out tonight as there seems to be a loose USB connection which is my own fault. I've had it temporarily mounted rather poorly and it has fallen off 5-6 times, each time the cable and cam ended up dangling. On finding it fallen again this morning and not running, I just stowed it for the day as I didn't have time to fool with it. Got mine used with no warranty and it's been doing very well till now :rolleyes:

Phil

The slow fade out of the lights at power off indicate that the camera hasn't booted correctly and it has crashed, most likely a memory related problem when this happens

The slow fade out of the lights at power off indicate that the camera hasn't booted correctly and it has crashed, most likely a memory related problem when this happens

Why would anyone design a dash camera where the CPU controls whether it beeps when not recording? If the cpu crashes or doesn't boot up correctly there are no beeps to tell you it isn't recording. There should have been a separate hardware circuit consisting of a counter or timer that beeps every second or two unless the cpu writes to it to reset it. That way if the cpu crashes or doesn't boot up you get the beeps to tell you it isn't recording. This is basic circuit design.

30 day return period? There should be a warranty involved lasting longer than that, and a good seller should assist you in getting service with the warranty. Where did you buy it?

Warranty service doesn't get me a refund. It just replaces a poorly designed unreliable product with the same thing. Plus having to pay for shipping.

I think Viofo knows the WR1 is a dud. There is no support for it. It is a wifi camera with slow file transfer speeds and they didn't even make the firmware so you could record 1 minute files.

We got one firmware update that was supposed to make wifi file transfer speeeds faster but I didn't see any difference. The other change was:
  1. Improved: Not support disable auto recording while external charger plugged
So they improved not supporting disabling something? There are so many double negstives in that sentence that I have no idea what it means.

We got two firmware updates and you can record 1 minute videos but just in a parking mode.

Why would anyone design a dash camera where the CPU controls whether it beeps when not recording?

it has crashed at this point, it's not going to load whatever you're intending as a secondary warning system, when they fail like this it's usually an indicator of a corrupt or failed memory card that is interfering with the boot process, this is one of the downsides if cameras without a display that you can't easily tell what's happening

While there have been several reports of issues with the apps not working well, there have been almost no reports of failures such as the OP mentions that I have seen except card-related ones. I don't think it a fair assessment to call it unreliable or garbage based on both what I've seen and what I've experienced. YMMV and I won't belabor the point but the return and warranty times mentioned here are pretty much the same you get with most cams from most sellers here in the US. If you want better service you must buy from a better seller. As I always say, you do not get what you don't pay for ;)

Phil

it has crashed at this point, it's not going to load whatever you're intending as a secondary warning system, when they fail like this it's usually an indicator of a corrupt or failed memory card that is interfering with the boot process, this is one of the downsides if cameras without a display that you can't easily tell what's happening

I know it is not going to load a secondary warning system because it was poorly designed. That's why it should have had a hardware counter chip that triggers an audio circuit if not reset by a write from the cpu. All the counter chip circuit needs is power and not any loading of software. This is something a first year student of electronic circuit design learns in the first 3 months.

While there have been several reports of issues with the apps not working well, there have been almost no reports of failures such as the OP mentions that I have seen except card-related ones. I don't think it a fair assessment to call it unreliable or garbage based on both what I've seen and what I've experienced. YMMV and I won't belabor the point but the return and warranty times mentioned here are pretty much the same you get with most cams from most sellers here in the US. If you want better service you must buy from a better seller. As I always say, you do not get what you don't pay for ;)

Phil

Failure with two memory cards, one a Transcend Extreme Endurance, probably the most expensive memory card you can buy and specifically recommended for dash cams. The other was a Samsung EVO Select.

Did you changed the SSID of the camera? Try to reset to default and then use the Samsung EVO card for new tests. Also disable the Wi-Fi auto connect feature from your smartphone and connect to WR1 SSID only after camera was starting recording.
That no-recording-beep is a great feature invented by Viofo and is one of the latest features added in the world of dashcams. If the camera is working OK, but you stopped it manually or you forget the card at home it should beep until you will use the dashcam as a dashcam not a mirror accessory. If not using it, just take out the power and save the electricity from your car.

enjoy,
Mtz

I just experienced a different kind of failure . Having been out late I wanted to see what the vids looked like on the dark roads. The last clip was fine, but the one before that showed what was probably a 3 minute part of my drive missing :eek: And I remember seeing the cam LED's indicating recording at least twice when I looked during the missing part. I will check all the clips later when I have time.

The chances are that I've got a card problem- this is a 3+ year old 32GB Samsung EVO which hasn't been h2testw checked in at least 6 months. It is mu oldest card.

It might be related to a power glitch as I haven't checked the USB cable or port for the damage I mentioned above.

Also worth noting is that my used cam is set up however it was when I bought it; I do not yet have an Android app to do or check anything with yet :whistle: Lacking the app I just stuffed the card in after is had been formatted in my Mobius and till tonight it seemed to be working fine. I don't believe this is a flaw with the cam design or firmware but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else has similar problems ;)

I just got my 2 new 64GB Samsung EVO select cards yesterday and I need to get a tablet PC so I've got a bit of work to do and it might be this weekend before I can sort this one out. Gotta say I'm highly impressed with the vids at night- almost what my old eyeballs were seeing and maybe even more :D U'll update in this thread what I find when I check this out :cool:

Phil

Back